Survival UK Forums
CB testing this coming week - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Communications (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+---- Forum: CB Radio (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=96)
+---- Thread: CB testing this coming week (/showthread.php?tid=7139)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

CB testing this coming week - Lightspeed - 24 August 2014

Last Friday I finally got started on my permanent radio station.

First tests went well. In fact better than expected. On normal CB CEPT frequencies I had conversations with stations in Scotland, Devon and the Midlands…..and that was using 4w power on FM…this is a very surprising result. I tried again yesterday evening, but noting whatsoever.

I’ll be testing again every evening coming week (starting tonight) from 19.30h to 20.30h. I'll be calling on CEPT Ch 32 (27.325Mhz) alternating between FM and USB. My Call sign will be 26-TU-999

If you hear me please give me a shout, or PM me a signal report.

Cheers

RE: CB testing this coming week - NorthernRaider - 24 August 2014

Got my new Bearcat set up and listening @ 19.15 hrs > on 27.325 fm

RE: CB testing this coming week - Lightspeed - 24 August 2014

Cheers.

No response to my calls. A cupke of Italians were sharing the frequency, but they were not too noisy.

I had to end 15 nins early as my SWR was all over the place. Lots of static on the coax maybe a consequence of the metal roof? I need to check this out.

Thanks for listening NR. I'll try again tomorrow.

RE: CB testing this coming week - NorthernRaider - 28 August 2014

OK I have listened all week, I cannot pick up LS, but I have heard CB users testing each others kit as far north as Ashington in Northumberland and as far south as the A1 in Lincs.

RE: CB testing this coming week - Lightspeed - 31 July 2016

Wow, its been two years since we last discussed CB radio on here.

I'm hearing renewed interest in CB as a Prepper communications tool, with new and serious stations being set-up.

Is anyone up to try making contact, say next weekend?

Suggested frequencies:

FM: UK Channel 26
SSB: EU CEPT Channel 04 LSB ( NOTE LSB and not the normally used USB this is to give anyone trying to listen/call best chance of making contact)

Time: 13.00 - 15.00 local time. (BST)

I'll personally be calling on the SSB Channel both Saturday and Sunday.

So as to ease identification, anyone who wants to join in please create yourself a call-sign in the format 26-SUK-XXX where XXX is any number of your choosing.

RE: CB testing this coming week - harrypalmer - 1 August 2016

Charlie Bravo = swear words.

RE: CB testing this coming week - CharlesHarris - 1 August 2016

WTFO?

RE: CB testing this coming week - Lightspeed - 2 August 2016

The logic to test CB is as follows:

They are cheap

There's a big installed base

I suspect that quite a few have been purchased at car boot sales as a just in case prep.

They are license free, so anyone can immediately start transmitting with one legally.

A couple of years ago CB single side band was made legal for license free use in the UK. The channels that it can be used on are the 40 EU CEPT channels, which coincidentally are the same as the historic American 40 channels that appeared on the 1980s classic rigs like the Ham international, and the Cobra 148GTL etc.

Two weekends ago A CB club called Charley Tango operated a station from Buxton in Derbyshire and could be heard talking to stations across the UK and throughout Europe. So conditions are currently favourable.

So, anyone wanting to give it a try, there's no need for a formal confirmation of your intention to join in. Just call on the listed frequencies to see who can hear you.

BTW if anyone is listening and hears what appears to be a SUK station that nobody is replying to, please press the PTT and say hello...You might be the only person who can hear them.

RE: CB testing this coming week - Lightspeed - 6 August 2016

I'll be transmitting today on a slightly earlier than planned schedule.

Frequency: EU CEPT Ch 04 LSB ( Lower Side Band)

Time: Between Midday and 14.00h (BST)

My Call Sign: 26-SUK-17 will

RE: CB testing this coming week - Lightspeed - 6 August 2016

No contacts made.

I opened the station a little late at 12.20 BST

12.25 Some English sounding voice in the noise

12.35 Unidentifiable voice transmission, again in the noise, but with Roger Bleep.

12.55 Clearly received QRZ but no call sign

12.56 Clearly heard Call sign 26TW Something O

13.00 Frequency completely quiet

13.10 English (Yorkshire? Accent) in the noise. Delta bleep at end of transmission.

Was any of this YOU?????? Please confirm.

I'll try again tomorrow.

BTW: While hanging out on CEPT Ch 04 LSB, I was also monitoring Freeband 27.555 some traffic from UK, Italy and France.

Also over the last 30 minutes of operating I went onto the Ham 28 Mhz band ( which tunes less well on my antenna) Using the same antenna and the same radio, I made 11 contacts across UK, Northern Ireland, Netherlands, Romania, Bulgaria and Ukraine. Sweet-spot contact point from my location was around 750 miles away. For info, the radio I was using was a wide-banded, but otherwise stock and unmodified SSB capable CB.