Survival UK Forums
"addicted to technology". - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: "addicted to technology". (/showthread.php?tid=7687)

Pages: 1 2

"addicted to technology". - bigpaul - 2 June 2015

it seems to me that because the internet and other technologies like mobile phones, and facebook and twitter, are so interwoven into modern life that should any event happen to remove such from our lives...say a shut down of the power grid or something similar (recently 2 trees fell down in Switzerland and blacked out the whole of Italy for several days)for any length of time then I can see all our modern systems unravelling, how would councils, commerce, the NHS, banks, supermarkets etc continue to function without power and computers to do all there business? I suggest they would not, maybe for a short while but ultimately they must cease, how would society continue to function, or would this lead to anarchy and ultimately societal collapse? I believe it would. the internet is a wonderful invention(for the most part) but we(society) have tended to put "all our eggs in one basket" and had no back up system if it should fail even for a short time. I can live without the internet and mobile phones if I have to but I don't believe that is the case for the majority of the population, studies have shown this to be the case.

most people seem to be so addicted to their technology that there is no way they could even function without it, so much has it invaded our lives. if such an event should happen people will go crazy without their "fix" .

RE: "addicted to technology". - Straight Shooter - 2 June 2015

You have just described a situation that WILL happen BP ...only my opinion, we have already been set up ...and warned it will occur soon....LS and others on here tried to impress upon us the importance of alternative coms...to a simple hand held job for under fifty pounds and a good antenna for when you are in a fixed position, i intend getting one of each when i get some dosh...i have a CB but with the new tech stuff i am told they are more efficient range increases etc......ham stuff is of no interest to me .....but these things for the money is a must, plus it may be possible to set up a chain for us to know what,s really going on in a down situation ....for sure you will not get truth off the main media...just to hammer the point home...all will grind to a halt , how quick it gets back up is something else...as for banks,shops,traffic lights,ATMs ,power plants you name it ....your hardly going to ring up and complain are you?....it WILL be down to YOU ...as preppers/survivalists what you do now, may well turn out to keep you in front of the curve....not the arse end of it.

RE: "addicted to technology". - bigpaul - 2 June 2015

your quite right SS, I am somehow not concerned about myself or anyone who preps, it is more the behaviour of the sheeple and how they will act that will be the problem. I have always said its not so much the event you need to be aware of, its other people that will be the problem WTSHTF.

RE: "addicted to technology". - Straight Shooter - 2 June 2015

You and me both brother !....but it would be nice to listen in if nothing else...there will be plenty of hot spots....and what,s heading your way .....or ......where your heading out to ....forewarned can only be good for US.

I've got a couple of radio's I can use when TSHTF, I can listen in but not transmit but at least I can hear if anything is being transmitted. I did think of getting a couple of walkie talkies but the range is so short and its only the 2 of us and we are usually together anyway, mostly 24/7 so I cant really qualify the expense, they would only get chucked in a drawer until SHTF day anyway. pity I cant get a police scanner like I had back along but now their using Tetra that isn't possible.

RE: "addicted to technology". - Midnitemo - 2 June 2015

I am most definitely a luddite and a technophobe...people who know me will vouch for that....I can go days without looking at my mobile(leave it in the car mostly)find it intrusive truth be told....I waited an extra 3 month's for BMW to build me my bike without traction control/ABS and a host of other gizmo's they put on as standard...still not got round to buying com's as I'm waiting for something simpler to appear(currently making do with a Grundig yachtboy world band radio and some Motorola walkie talkies) have a kindle for ease of use/portability but I still prefer real books(can't beat hard copy)all my music is on my laptop but I still buy the cd's to keep and store(2 brand new cd players bought and stashed incase this format goes the way of vcr) could happily live without theTV , sat nav and games consoles...dunno how to even turn em on.....looking to replace my towcar with a vintage (simple) 4x4......not everybody loves tech by a long shot

we should use what we can whilst it still exists, but plan for a future without it. at least that is my philosophy.

RE: "addicted to technology". - Tarrel - 2 June 2015

I wouldn't underestimate the resilience of the internet. Don't forget it was designed to withstand nuclear attack! Its distributed nature gives it strength.

I think what is more likely is either:
a) A failure of, or attack on, a key service provider (say a data centre or utility company), or
a) A problem with the "last mile", e.g. telephone lines bringing the internet into your home being damaged in a storm, or maybe a whole town being cut off.

Either of these could lead to the disruption, followed by disorder, discussed above. But I think the core infrastructure would survive.

Still makes sense to assume it wouldn't however. So, sensible preps would include:
- Keeping a reserve of cash in case ATMs stop working or shops can't handle card transactions
- Keeping a supply of food to avoid the need to visit ATMs or shops, together with the associated unpleasantness
- Having a battery-operated transistor radio to keep up to date with the news
- Possibly, having alternative comms - although for me personally this wouldn't be a priority. WTSHTF I'll be going dark and maintaining as low a profile as possible.
- Keeping vehicle fuel tanks full, together with some spare in jerry cans. (A runnable car engine provides many benefits; as well as getting you around it provides a source of electrical power, light to work by and, at a pinch, somewhere to keep warm. For generating power it is likely to be more efficient than a small generator).
- Having a method of purifying water and a store of rainwater in case the pumping station goes down. (The man from our water board tells me that our supply is gravity-fed, requiring no pumping. The treatment station does, however, require pumps).

RE: "addicted to technology". - Devonian - 3 June 2015

I'm in two minds on this....

Yes we are 'ultra' reliant on technology, but in the short term I think there is enough resilience in place through duplicate data centres; off-site backup's; business continuity plans etc.

Yes networks could go down or a few days, even a few weeks, but in most cases I think they would be back up pretty quickly (relatively). That's not to say there wouldn't be disruption and problems....... and as BP says people wouldn't be getting their daily fix!

But I think the biggest unknown is what the effects of a major EMP strike would produce on all these systems, particularly critical infrastructure (rather than social media platforms) no-one really knows for sure.......

RE: "addicted to technology". - bigpaul - 3 June 2015

I don't think anyone should assume any of our systems are infallible, always "plan for the worst and hope for the best", if we plan for things going TU and its not so bad as we thought then we are laughing, if its worse then we are still covered.