Survival UK Forums
Stupid or What! - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: Stupid or What! (/showthread.php?tid=8496)

Pages: 1 2

Stupid or What! - MaryN - 14 August 2016

I seem to have been living with idiots for the past week or so. I now realise that what I consider to be common sense and general knowledge are not necessarily shared by folks I know. Quite alarming.

I have some friends who are cock-a-hoop about the prospect of buying their first house with (gasp!) open fireplaces. I am sure they have an Ikea-view of brightly burning flames in front of lovely modern furniture and a seamless country life. I suggested that instead of a man-made carpet right up to the fireplaces, they would do better with a decent fireguard and a 100% wool rug or carpet in front of it. I was met with??? On explaining that sparks landing on polypropylene, or any man-made material would leave a lovely charred black hole and the threat of fire breaking out, I was obviously not getting through. I wondered if she had ever seen a sheep burst into flame? Wool only smoulders and goes out - much safer. She didn't appreciate my comments. Ho hum!

Next up was a lovely foreign lady (Singaporean or somewhere in that direction), who on being given a nice freshly pulled bunch of rhubarb, asked if the leaves stir-fried! I was quite shocked - evidently rhubarb lore is not universal! Er no, not the best thing to eat. I took the leaves away for the compost.

Then there was the young woman with youngsters who was standing chatting to me in the field. She should know better, but her nipper was plucking away at fungi. As I had no idea what the fungi were - mushrooms, toadstools?? - and I was willing to bet she had no idea either. I pointed out that her kiddie should be told that fungi were a no-go area. Should know better.

And finally, I had the dubious pleasure of asking a guest not to put STs, wet wipes or cottonwool down the loo as this house has a septic tank. Again, met with?? O.K., she's a townie and I assume it is normal to clog up the drainage system in town, but try that with a septic tank and you are heading for trouble. I might also make you dig it out if the damned thing backs up!

RE: Stupid or What! - CharlesHarris - 14 August 2016

MaryN, I think that you have just proven Darwin's Theory of Evolution!

I witness the same stupidity here among city "those people" [insert any descriptor you prefer] who move out into the country.

Then when I lived "inside the beltway" there was the immigrant woman who burned out her apartment and seven children while trying to build a wood fire inside the oven of her electric stove, in her government subsidized project...

RE: Stupid or What! - MaryN - 14 August 2016

Charles, it's bloody scary just how stupid some people can be!

RE: Stupid or What! - Skean Dhude - 15 August 2016

I can understand people not knowing things. Every single one of your examples shows a lack of knowledge not common sense. However, when something is pointed out to someone and they don't get it that is a failing in their thinking process. They should have that Ah moment when they see something they didn't know.

Common sense isn't that common.

RE: Stupid or What! - River Song - 15 August 2016

Time to dig out my book on Do-it-yourself Eugenics

RE: Stupid or What! - harrypalmer - 16 August 2016

Does it make me a bad person to laugh when I saw a young lad, head buried in his phone, walk straight into a lamp post?

RE: Stupid or What! - CharlesHarris - 16 August 2016

Only if you laugh when he is mugged while playing Pokemon Go...

RE: Stupid or What! - CharlesHarris - 16 August 2016

This MD has the credentials to make a psychiatric diagnosis of Hillary Clinton without Russia steering the ship.

http://stevepieczenik.com/hillarys-resume-less-than-zero/

RE: Stupid or What! - harrypalmer - 17 August 2016

Interesting fella, truth be told I'd not heard of him before...a bright academic who's drifted into fiction too with Tom Clancy.

I've just downloaded 'Steve Pieczenik Talks' ebook

"I compiled all my blogs into one book for a simple reason. I wanted to make certain in the years to come that if the internet was blocked, heavily censored or restricted, there was a complete record of that time before such drastic censorship. The fair question to ask is: do I believe that such a time of serious restriction of the internet will come? The answer is simply yes!"
-Dr. Steve R. Pieczenik

I agree with him, stock up on your ebooks and movies before the net is strangled and streaming movies a thing of the past.

RE: Stupid or What! - CharlesHarris - 17 August 2016

Any qualified mental health diagnostician, from a Master's level Clinical Social Worker up through the neuropsychiatrist only has to spend a little time watching her behaviors and reading the publicly available vetted accounts of her behaviors, over the years, to determine that Hillary is indeed a sociopath. (Among other mental illnesses.) So it didn't take the Russians to tip anybody off to long known condition. Anyone with the skill set mentioned above has known this about her for years.