Survival UK Forums
cyber attack - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Threats and Risks (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: cyber attack (/showthread.php?tid=9376)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

cyber attack - roddas - 16 October 2018

do they know something we dont?

https://news.sky.com/story/major-life-threatening-cyber-attack-on-uk-in-little-doubt-in-near-future-warns-security-chief-11526858

RE: cyber attack - Mortblanc - 16 October 2018

Let us say the article is true, even though it is from a government agency that wants tighter control of your personal computer,

(Is this not a great way to cause mass hysteria? Tell people someone has a way to kill them from a distance using a computer!)

and let us say there is a "real threat" to your life based on computer crime. Which I am sure means the Russians have found a way to reach through the computer and choke you like a Sith Lord,

What is your plan?

What is the actual threat?

Is the outside threat worse than the controls on your internet use and access imposed by the government that is already repressing you?

Are your intentions to take action, and what would it be?

Or is the plan to place you hands high over you head and run in circles squealing like a lost Girl Guide?

RE: cyber attack - Pete Grey - 16 October 2018

I think if an enemy state did make a cyber attack it would be at the infrastructure of the country, affecting power distribution or the other services ( water, sewage, gas, vehicle fuel distribution, hospitals etc)

As such if we personally have prepared for an EMP event (as part of our normal preps) which is a worst case scenario, and the possibility of internet being shut down we should use an attack to test our preps.

A cyber attack would probably not result in long term disruption maybe a month to get to a more normal situation and get things moving, but if we can’t stop it we can learn from it.

RE: cyber attack - roddas - 16 October 2018

(16 October 2018, 16:48)Pete Grey Wrote: I think if an enemy state did make a cyber attack it would be at the infrastructure of the country, affecting power distribution or the other services ( water, sewage, gas, vehicle fuel distribution, hospitals etc)

As such if we personally have prepared for an EMP event (as part of our normal preps) which is a worst case scenario, and the possibility of internet being shut down we should use an attack to test our preps.

A cyber attack would probably not result in long term disruption maybe a month to get to a more normal situation and get things moving, but if we can’t stop it we can learn from it.

i agree with you, one of my major preps is for grid down regardless for how long, my system gets put through its paces a lot due to my location, i now have it just how i want it with enough power to last as long as is needed, i have a rather unusual battery bank that is made up of wet cell nicads that last for decades so they will out last me thats for sure, and i have a second bank of them in reserve if needed, i have enough solar and wind power to recharge the bank very quickly, even so i have sized the battery band to last 3 days minimum without any charge at all

RE: cyber attack - Pete Grey - 16 October 2018

I think i’ve got most risks covered, water, food, heating, chemical toilet, vehicle fuel, propane all good stocks, first aid requisites and medication, should see us ok.

House is all led lighting, we could do with more solar panels and battery storage, how much do we need who knows, we would never have enough to power the freezers, as stuff thaws it’s cooked or salted.

So i believe for an event lasting for a month or two we should have no real difficulty but for longer more power would make things a lot easier.

RE: cyber attack - roddas - 17 October 2018

(16 October 2018, 20:19)Pete Grey Wrote: I think i’ve got most risks covered, water, food, heating, chemical toilet, vehicle fuel, propane all good stocks, first aid requisites and medication, should see us ok.

House is all led lighting, we could do with more solar panels and battery storage, how much do we need who knows, we would never have enough to power the freezers, as stuff thaws it’s cooked or salted.

So i believe for an event lasting for a month or two we should have no real difficulty but for longer more power would make things a lot easier.

yeah pretty much the same here, only difference is instead of propane ive gone with paraffin, i am building a good stock of this as i have got paraffin heaters and cooking stoves for my back ups

RE: cyber attack - bigpaul - 17 October 2018

trouble is paraffin stinks, I had to use some paraffin heaters in a bed sit many years ago when the power was cut off, long story, good job its was only for a few days.

RE: cyber attack - Pete Grey - 17 October 2018

Yes paraffin does stink, i’ve cached a couple of old hurricane lamps and some paraffin at our BOL but we don’t use it at home.

Do you remember the old paraffin Primus stoves that used to burst into flames as you pumped them up ? that’s why we now use propane.

i agree with that it does smell, however im thinking that in any real prolonged situation propane and the like would be gone pretty fast as most people will be out grabbing it but a old paraffin heater like the aladdin blue flames i have will run on a few different fuel types, although not recommended it can be done, so fuel will be easier to come by is my hope

this is a pic of one of my aladdins that i have restored, it something i enjoy doing as well, keeps me busy