Survival UK Forums
The car - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Vehicles (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+---- Forum: Utility (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+---- Thread: The car (/showthread.php?tid=9516)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: The car - bigpaul - 21 March 2022

(21 March 2022, 12:11)Pete Grey Wrote:
(21 March 2022, 10:05)bigpaul Wrote: our cars are regularly serviced and checked they dont let us down, we do not leave the house with a dead phone.
if I want to ring the wife when I'm out I phone the land line. meal times are a set time in our house 7am/12noon/4pm.
if the mains our down we have other ways of cooking . its called being prepared and yes I was a Boy Scout.

Life is short and shit happens, we try to prepare for every eventuality, phones do go dead unexpectedly, technology is fallible.

I know tech is fallible thats why I dont rely on it.

RE: The car - Straight Shooter - 21 March 2022

This coming Wednesday going to clean and polish the caravan , wild child is bumping her gums constantly for us to hit the road ! And have some fun ! So I am under strict instructions .....this was reinforced by some real bad news received today , one of our friends died a few days ago ...sudden and unexpected ....and upsetting for all who knew him ....he was very popular .......so wild child is correct “ live each day as if it’s your last “ ....no arguments from yours truly .

RE: The car - Tartar Horde - 23 March 2022

Bloody cars, just had to scrap mine, blown turbo, oh well one more step to getting a horse lol.

RE: The car - bigpaul - 23 March 2022

(23 March 2022, 14:27)Tartar Horde Wrote: Bloody cars, just had to scrap mine, blown turbo, oh well one more step to getting a horse lol.
Turbo? Turbo? what the hell you driving TH? LOL.
mine's a basic 1200cc MPV ideal for all those deep narrow Devon lanes.

RE: The car - Tartar Horde - 25 March 2022

3 ltr S-line Audi lol.

RE: The car - bigpaul - 25 March 2022

(25 March 2022, 08:11)Tartar Horde Wrote: 3 ltr S-line Audi lol.

THREE litre? bloody hell!

RE: The car - BritishPrepper - 27 March 2022

I'd have to say the biggest expense I've shelled out for my prepper lifestyle, more than my whole cache of tinned food or fancy Berkey filters, was my Land Rover Freelander 2 which I bought last year specifically for prepping.

I just had visions of me bugging out to Scotland or somewhere else with my kids in a disaster scenario and there not being enough room in the car if I had to stack all of my bug out gear as well as the many boxes of food stores I had. They stopped making them in 2014 so mine is a 2011, and still cost over £8k, but has been so dependable and I know I could take it off road if needed, will have all the space I could need and I could even live in it if push came to shove. I think the next thing I would buy would be a caravan to stick on the back of the 4x4 should I need to bug out, or at the very least a tow trailer and/or roof rack to double the amount of space. I did an article for my own site on how to live in your car, and although I researched well and made many good points, I personally would not like to live in a car for more than a week.

Has anyone else bought their car or another vehicle to cater to their prepping mindset?

RE: The car - Straight Shooter - 28 March 2022

Yes BPrep I have the same as you ...exactly , it’s everyday and all else rolled into one ! Also a caravan to bug out if it comes to it ...being early enough is the key to have any chance of using it as a bug out !

RE: The car - Pete Grey - 28 March 2022

I didn’t buy either of our vehicles deliberately as part of our preps, but have tried to adapt them as best as I can, as in the first post of this thread and the thread PGs camper van, while making sure they can be used on an everyday basis.

The car is our GHV and the camper first for holidays then as a BOV, but as SS says “being early enough is the key to have any chance of using it as a bug out”.

RE: The car - BritishPrepper - 28 March 2022

Agreed, yes you'd have to set off pretty sharpish when the roads aren't going to be blocked and get a decent space, that you've ideally scoped out many times before, and possibly buy a massive ghillie net or something for both caravan and car.