Survival UK Forums
Electricity needs when the grids down. - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Power (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+---- Forum: Generation (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+---- Thread: Electricity needs when the grids down. (/showthread.php?tid=9523)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Electricity needs when the grids down. - bigpaul - 27 February 2022

I'm not into Solar Panels or Wind Turbines or any of this stuff, I'm not technically minded, so will go with the simple life post SHTF, I do to a certain amount already, I'm just old school I guess.
as for things that break, like saws and stuff, thats why I have stockpiled more than one of these things so it has redundancy built in, there will be no nipping to the store to buy a new one post SHTF.

RE: Electricity needs when the grids down. - Pete Grey - 20 October 2022

(25 March 2020, 22:00)Pete Grey Wrote: .................For our needs all we want is charging for 12v batteries (leisure and vehicle) usb devices, AA and AAA rechargeables, these are our very basic requirements for led lanterns , cb, walkie talkies, flash lights etc.

For our main charging needs we have a 100 watt folding solar panel with built in charge controller, good summer sun gives us 6-7 amps, quite useful, i haven’t tried it in winter weather i expect only 1-1.5 amps, so we will probably get a second one. These will be used to charge our leisure batteries (we have two) or any vehicle battery as necessary.

We also have a couple of 20 watt panels (and an old 5 or 10 watt, can’t remember which) which will be used mainly to charge usb devices and the AA and AAA rechargables. We have two 12 v 7 Ah sealed batteries out of an emergency lighting system these are gaffer taped together and wired to a cigarette lighter socket as a portable CB power supply.

Our new plans.

An eco-worthy 240w system, two 120w panels, 30A charge controller with cables and mounting brackets, and two new leisure batteries with selector switch and fuses/circuit-breakers. The panels mounted on our only south facing roof, the garden shed.

The 100w folding panel, bought initially for the camper, will also be used for the old leisure battery, which is in a diy box with a cigarette lighter socket, usb socket and a volt meter fitted (ebay panel).

The two 7Ah batteries in the power bag are permanently on charge by the little 10w panel, no charge controller is needed due to the very low current.

I’ve ordered a charge controller to use with the two 20w panels as another system for small devices, rechargeables or usb, or just as a backup.

RE: Electricity needs when the grids down. - bigpaul - 20 October 2022

sounds awfully involved PG.

(20 October 2022, 12:57)bigpaul Wrote: sounds awfully involved PG.

Two is one and one is non, so while not three or four ? Smile

RE: Electricity needs when the grids down. - bigpaul - 20 October 2022

(20 October 2022, 16:14)Pete Grey Wrote:
(20 October 2022, 12:57)bigpaul Wrote: sounds awfully involved PG.

Two is one and one is non, so while not three or four ? Smile

because I dont understand technical stuff thats why.LOL.

RE: Electricity needs when the grids down. - Mortblanc - 20 October 2022

Starting right now and going until April I will not have enough sunshine daily to charge an AAA battery.

Often my solar powered outdoor systems will not charge enough to last more than an hour or two after they activate.

I do not see how you guys at way higher latitude than me can depend on solar for any extended use.

I think 300+ watts should give us some useful power, winter daylight does give some but obviously not as much as bright summer sun, the solar is for battery charging not to run any appliance.

While there is mains power we can use that for battery charging.

12v lighting is safe and convenient. How many fires will candles and oil lamps cause ?.

If there is no more mains that’s another ballgame.

RE: Electricity needs when the grids down. - bigpaul - 21 October 2022

if there is mains power or a limited power cut s then we can either use the mains or batteries as long as that lasts.
once the power grid goes down for longer or even permanently then a different life style will be required, one much closer to the earth, not that many of our modern citizens will be able to adapt.

RE: Electricity needs when the grids down. - Straight Shooter - 21 October 2022

Another alternative would be wood gas relatively easy to produce and will run a generator , even a truck take a look on YouTube ! …..some minor adjustments to the carb is all that’s required .

RE: Electricity needs when the grids down. - bigpaul - 21 October 2022

nope, cant be arsked, the simple life for me when Putin and all the politicians mess up this thing called civilisation.