Survival UK Forums
WEF - investing in forests program - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Scenarios (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: WEF - investing in forests program (/showthread.php?tid=9647)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: WEF - investing in forests program - bigpaul - 7 June 2021

the serf or the servant class no longer exists, many servants went off to fight in WW1 and never came back, the country house landed gentry system collapsed because of that, most had to open to the public to make ends meet. I worked for one such family for many years.
most taxes these days are based on buying stuff, ergo if you dont buy something you dont pay taxes on it.
sure people pay rent on property but I dont believe they will be paying rent-or tribute- post SHTF most of the landlords will be dead, I live in a Housing Association house and the rent is paid automatically, again I doubt this association will exist post SHTF.

RE: WEF - investing in forests program - Straight Shooter - 7 June 2021

I do not agree BP those classes you say not longer ,exists defiantly exist to this very day......I do agree we are taxed when we buy anything .....how are we supposed to live without buying anything ? .....we are slaves to the system surfs and servants .......it just got more sophisticated and made easy buy our excepting of the reasons put forward for the NEED of the tax in the first place .....we are always offered a plausible and honourable reason that will benefit we the people ......then they use the tax money for something totally alien of the proposed intent ! NO BP ...........surfs and servants are very much alive and kicking.

RE: WEF - investing in forests program - bigpaul - 7 June 2021

I dont agree my friend, not to serfs and servants, what we have are the rich and the poor.
I dont believe any PTB will exist post SHTF, maybe later on as some kind of community comes together but I will be long gone by the time that happens.

RE: WEF - investing in forests program - Mortblanc - 9 June 2021

Just because you don't believe in St. Nick doesn't mean Christmas is not coming.

RE: WEF - investing in forests program - LAC - 10 June 2021

With respect BP, if you look at every society that has collapsed throughout history, there has always still been some form of government, or those claiming authority from the previous government in some form of contingency arrangement. They will still have most of the guns and therefore most of the say. Now it may be that that group is challenged by groups not recognising them, which could happen in rural areas of the United States, but unlikely in the UK. Bug in with your preps would probably be fine for a short to medium scenario but long term you're doomed without some form of support group (no man is an island).

I don't know if you've ever watched the 1970s British TV series called 'Survivors'? but I imagine that to be quite an accurate portrayal of a serious long term event, with various types of groups trying to survive, some fighting each other, but others joining together for mutual trade in goods and services. Some people view the series as a training manual rather than a TV series.

RE: WEF - investing in forests program - bigpaul - 10 June 2021

I agree about previous societal collapses but the lifestyles back them were fairly simple, any survivors could simply access their daily needs by their own physical labour the technology being fairly basic, in the 21st Century most people are welded to their computers-everything seem to be run by computers these days-talk about putting all your eggs in one basket- and mobile phones are everywhere, once the stores are empty and the power grid goes down most people indeed most governments will fail.
any survivors will start off as lone units, they will have to survive alone, there will be no 7th Cavalry come charging over the hill bugles blowing to save them, if they cant survive alone then they are dead meat.
maybe later, many multiple decades later maybe some form of tribal set up will arise but it will be small and locally based, the days of national or international trade and travel will be mere history.
as for "the survivors" that is pure fiction, just one persons interpretation of how it "might" go down, not necessarily how it will, to my mind the main group spent too much time trying to find other groups and not enough setting up their food supply, none of them knew enough, all middle class actors, they even used winter wheat seed for summer sowing so of course the crop failed.

(10 June 2021, 08:39)bigpaul Wrote: I agree about previous societal collapses but the lifestyles back them were fairly simple, any survivors could simply access their daily needs by their own physical labour the technology being fairly basic, in the 21st Century most people are welded to their computers-everything seem to be run by computers these days-talk about putting all your eggs in one basket- and mobile phones are everywhere, once the stores are empty and the power grid goes down most people indeed most governments will fail.
any survivors will start off as lone units, they will have to survive alone, there will be no 7th Cavalry come charging over the hill bugles blowing to save them, if they cant survive alone then they are dead meat.
maybe later, many multiple decades later maybe some form of tribal set up will arise but it will be small and locally based, the days of national or international trade and travel will be mere history.
as for "the survivors" that is pure fiction, just one persons interpretation of how it "might" go down, not necessarily how it will, to my mind the main group spent too much time trying to find other groups and not enough setting up their food supply, none of them knew enough, all middle class actors, they even used winter wheat seed for summer sowing so of course the crop failed.

Fair points BP, and I know survivors is fiction but I did think the storylines were very well thought out. You mention decades before groups coming together. I don't think even many preppers have decades of stored food so the ones growing stuff will be easliy spotted and in my opinion would have to work together to protect themselves. Yes survivors has some middle class people but also grass roots people, rural folk, engineers etc who needed to work together for their survival, the old class systems are sometimes mentioned but in the sense that they have now become meaningless, and it's simply a matter of the skills needed to survive that are important. I remember one character who was a bit of a dimwit and before the plague would have been looked down upon by most, but he was a sharp shot in hunting with a bow and so now was held in high regard. Even soft skills would be needed, like that young woman who only had admin work experience but was able to talk to and comfort and assure other women and boost morale, those type of skills are needed just as much.

RE: WEF - investing in forests program - Straight Shooter - 10 June 2021

For all these reasons , the Main practice of producing your own food and gaining the knowledge and practising those skills is imperative , get all the tools NOW ......build those rabbit hutches and hen houses NOW or anything to sustain you and yours .......prepare.......one of the things I am trying on a bigger scale is container growing ....sounds a bit silly from a quantity point of view .....but is it so silly not to try to find out what can be achieved via this method ? It all adds strings to ones bow if nothing else ......besides food shortages are here and will become worse as time rolls on .....to my mind our priorities should be concentrated towards growing our own foods long term and being proactive right now will sustain us .......very soon ! Also the skills to store what you produce for the winter months , cure, pickling , drying ......there are loads of things for us all to know and how todo .

RE: WEF - investing in forests program - bigpaul - 10 June 2021

producing our own food and foraging for wild plants and meat will be the only way anyone will survive, stored canned food will only last so long, I've said it before and I'll say it again as far as I am concerned stored food is only to supplement our fresh food and is not an "instead of" resource.
I too have been experimenting with container growing with varied success.

I've been container growing potatoes and spinach with compost as only have small garden, and can tell you it has been very successful and so easy.