Survival UK Forums
Moving Forum to a new Host - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: News (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=89)
+--- Forum: Board News (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Moving Forum to a new Host (/showthread.php?tid=9797)

Moving Forum to a new Host - Skean Dhude - 24 September 2022

I've had a look at the sites and they are just getting hammered by Guests. Clearly many are looking at what is going on and stating to prepare. Welcome to all.

After looking at the stats as well as the main site being trawled for data I also have the files on the files site being downloaded. I'm glad I don't pay for bandwidth. This however slows the sites for everyone dynamic. File downloads just get slower but don't timeout, web users time out.

I'm not happy with GoDaddy but they have been OK for normal use. As i still have some time till the end of the contract I'm going to move the forum on its own to a replacemnet provider I use and split the load between the providers until I can sort out where I need to move the lot to. I host other sites on the replacement provider already but the traffic is insignificant compared the the file traffic on SUK.

As I have to change the DNS records as well as moving the site some posts may be lost and the site might vanish completely for a day or two. Hopefully not though.

I'll change the DNS records this evening and see how it goes.

RE: Moving Forum to a new Host - Straight Shooter - 24 September 2022

Many thanks SD for keeping us up to date !

RE: Moving Forum to a new Host - Pete Grey - 25 September 2022

Thanks SD it seems to be working fine.

RE: Moving Forum to a new Host - Mortblanc - 27 September 2022

this is getting a little boring.

Every time I check into the forum it is actually there and working. There is not mystery, excitement or disappointment, it's just there all the time now.

It makes me want to run down the list and make a post in every section just to freak people out and make them afraid they will miss something if they don't read them all.

Then Paul will follow and say he already knew that after each post, Pete Gray will give the detailed engineers' explanation, and SS will remind me how we used to do all of it when we were kids back before William the Conqueror landed.

This might turn out to be a good place to start a forum if enough people show up!

RE: Moving Forum to a new Host - Skean Dhude - 1 October 2022

Moving has been more of a problem than I thought. I have two providers until 2024. I'm going to move the forum from GoDaddy (spit) to my other provider. This should spread the load and make things faster all around including for those downloading. When GoDaddy expires in 2024, If we are not all little bits of cinder, I'm not renewing. I will move the rest of SUK to that provider and see how it goes.

In the meantime if we continue to have problems after I have moved the forums then I will need to look at alternative providers.

It may be takings its time but I am progressing, albeit slowly.

RE: Moving Forum to a new Host - Straight Shooter - 1 October 2022

Thanks for the update SD .

RE: Moving Forum to a new Host - bigpaul - 1 October 2022

site is still going down.

RE: Moving Forum to a new Host - Skean Dhude - 1 October 2022

OK. My plans are in place. I'm going to move the forum on Monday. It takes up to 24 hrs to propagate so it may be some will be on the new site whilst others are still on the old

I'll shut down input Monday Morning about 0900GMT and only open it up when it is on the new site. So if you can input after that point you will be on the new site. I'll post when it is complete.

After that let me know if it is still going down and I'll revisit it again.

RE: Moving Forum to a new Host - Skean Dhude - 3 October 2022

OK. That didn't go well. It took ages to get the data in and the system up and running as the load kept timing out. Then when I got it uploaded I found data errors.

It appears that despite what I read I need to update the database before I move and migrate a valid DB. It didn't like upgrading in situ.

I've run through the process about half a dozen times today. I could do it from memory. I'll have to revisit later this week.

Nothing is ever easy.

Apologies to all.