Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WaterBOB
27 February 2013, 02:13,
RE: WaterBOB
IMHO- i dont store large amounts of water. i figure no matter how much we have, it will run out. So why not just focus on being able to treat collected water so its safe for consumption. We are currently putting together a simple filtration system using 5 gallon buckets, sand, charcoal, and gravel. This will filter out most contaminants but not bacteria. Once water goes through this filter it must still be treated to kill the micro organisms. Boiling is good. Intense solar radiation is ok. Bleach, iodine (yuck), purification tablets, etc. When SHTF most illness/death will be from drinking contaminated water. It always is everytime there is a disaster. For portability, we have some filters that backpackers use that are good for filtering about 200 gallons. Always carry some metal container to boil water. Your of no use to anyone if there's a fountain shooting out your....
27 February 2013, 09:44,
(27 February 2013, 02:13)Rush2112 Wrote: IMHO- i dont store large amounts of water. i figure no matter how much we have, it will run out. So why not just focus on being able to treat collected water so its safe for consumption. We are currently putting together a simple filtration system using 5 gallon buckets, sand, charcoal, and gravel. This will filter out most contaminants but not bacteria. Once water goes through this filter it must still be treated to kill the micro organisms. Boiling is good. Intense solar radiation is ok. Bleach, iodine (yuck), purification tablets, etc. When SHTF most illness/death will be from drinking contaminated water. It always is everytime there is a disaster. For portability, we have some filters that backpackers use that are good for filtering about 200 gallons. Always carry some metal container to boil water. Your of no use to anyone if there's a fountain shooting out your....

Pretty much my approach, I keep enough storage for about 250 litres of drinking water but only actually keep about 50 litres of water actually stored, I prefer to focus in filtration.

27 February 2013, 20:35,
I know that last year you guys down south had a wash out year,... but wasn't it the year before when you had the best year for ages, with reservoirs going dry etc,... it pays to think of every kind of situation, especially where water is concerned,... personally I would think a bit more about your water storage, water butts are not expensive
A major part of survival is invisibility.
27 February 2013, 21:50,
your need water for any livestock and to keep veg going more storeed the better and cheap
27 February 2013, 21:56,
On the subject of water for your vasts herds of cattle and millions of edible hamsters heres a tip for many northerners.

If you check your local areas histoy and maps you will often find references to cattle such as TANNERS BANK, LEATHER STREET, DROVERS REST, SCOTCH CORNER, etc etc these places were often chosen by Scotish cattle drovers bringing their herds south to market and in many places the rest stops etc were selected because of very high ground water tables. the one near where I used to live was called Tanners bank and you only needed to dig a hole 18 inches deep before it started to fill with pure ground water, ideal for watering your prepper herds of Wildebeast.

28 February 2013, 11:42,
You need this - lightweight, easy to transport. Can't beat dehydrated water!

http://www.buydehydratedwater.com/
28 February 2013, 13:28,
Why not just use clingfilm to wrap the top of the bathtub?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
3 March 2013, 22:58,
(28 February 2013, 13:28)Scythe13 Wrote: Why not just use clingfilm to wrap the top of the bathtub?

Two reasons come to mind,.. first of all I have yet to find a plug that doesn't let some water out over time,...and secondly, using some sort of bag will make it a lot easier to get that last litre of water out
2 September 2013, 17:40,
I know this is an old post but has anybody found a uk source for waterbobs? i allready use the H2Go to fill up the water buckets for our horses , very sturdy , last about a year off hard use left outdoors all year round in the barrow , good product but would be hard to use without a frame/barrow as its a sort of lozenge shape with a seam running round the centre...really want a waterbob just not for £50 , were it to happen now i would drive a cork bung into the plug hole fill the bath as a reservior darken the bathroom and place a board over the bath...but a waterbob would be so much better....anybody?
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
2 September 2013, 19:19, (This post was last modified: 2 September 2013, 19:20 by Highlander.)
Stacks of them on Ebay,...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WaterBOB-Water...3a84335179

type in waterbob to see them all