Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bikes, a thread reborn
2 May 2022, 19:24,
RE: Bikes, a thread reborn
Motorised zimmers, Pete!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
2 May 2022, 19:51,
Pete, watch out for the anti personal mines coming through Monmouth ....and usk and watch out for spears in pontypool .....they eat people particularly Ebikers that pass through unannounced lol.
2 May 2022, 20:08,
(2 May 2022, 19:20)Pete Grey Wrote: At our age we would need ebikes, but their range would not get us to SS’s small holding Sad we would have three or four recharges on the way Smile .

You can get ebikes with replaceable batteries. I have zero personal experience with ebikes, so have no clue how to recharge the batteries. But would be interesting to set up a small solar rig to recharge the batteries, if that is an option. I have a solar charger that clips to a backpack or you can lay out on the floor. It's a great little device. But if there isn't enough light it actually takes power from your battery...which sucks!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
2 May 2022, 21:05,
From what I have seen ebikes batteries are 36volt or 48volt this complicates maters. A large panel or two in series, a charge controller, a deep cycle battery, an inverter and the mains bike charger would be needed. All possible for patrolling from a fixed base, not portable. Two or three spare batteries heavy and expensive.

However bearing in mind SS’s warnings I think we’ll give the valleys a miss Smile .
2 May 2022, 21:56,
been a part of my preps since the begining , never considered bugging out on one but as means of foraging over longer distances , currently have four plus assorted spares/consumables , i have gone for simple steel frame mtb/hybrid types , two rather elderly but sturdy Raleigh's that have been fully refurbished , a more modern Viking hybrid(don't hold out much hope of this lasting very long due too it's 700c wheels and tyres) and the jewel in the collection my Brompton folder(bought on the ride to work scheme....it's never been near my work!) it has anti puncture kevlar tyres , front and rear carriers and dynamo lights....this is a very tough and useful little bike
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
3 May 2022, 00:01,
Mid the Brompton is a very good bike, it’s got some very good options. Easy to stick in the boot and it’s there if anything goes wrong.
3 May 2022, 00:11,
Electric bikes are an interesting option and a relatively new technology. I’ve seen a few videos on You Tube of people using a small bike trailer with flexible solar panels. This gives the option of travelling about 20 miles and then charging for the next day.
Personally I would always recommend trying to keep fit and using a good quality conventional bike but if you have some long term injuries then electric might work for you if the fuel runs out.
3 May 2022, 16:02,
I have seen some lovely trailers that can be pulled by a bike. They might be useful for hauling logs or water containers should a need ever arise.
3 May 2022, 16:07,
(1 May 2022, 17:37)MaryN Wrote: Had to chuckle on this one. I've never owned or ridden a bike; not even sure if it would be an option. So the idea of a bike as a BO vehicle is a non-starter. Now, give me a horse......

Very good point. A horse can access areas where a bike might struggle, for sure.
I have never seen a bike jump a five bar gate from a flat run up. That said, I've never seen a bike that needed shooting because it blew a tyre. lol.
Bikes don't need to be fed, but the poor soul peddling sure need to be.
Ah, yes ... pros and cons.
3 May 2022, 16:38,
5 horses at the back of my place, but I must admit I prefer Donkeys, I'm fostering one at the Donkey Sanctuary.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.