Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storing/life expectancy of diesel fuel
5 April 2024, 21:15,
Storing/life expectancy of diesel fuel
Anyone got first hand experience of using diesel after it's been stored for a long time? Have you had any problems when trying to run a vehicle, generator etc on months or years old stored fuel? Going by what I've found out so far, does it really only store well for 6 to 12 months??

I'm more familiar with petrol in general to be honest but I do own a diesel pickup and more recently fitted a diesel heater inside my garage/workshop. I was thinking on stocking up on red diesel just for my heater really but I guess that there's no point in buying it now, better to wait a few months until the start of this Winter??
6 April 2024, 00:46,
RE: Storing/life expectancy of diesel fuel
My diesel van doesn't get much use and the fuel that I am currently using is over two years old. It is still going fine and without hiccups. In the past I've used fuel that is around five years old in the car. I have spare cans and in the past I've frequently forgotten to cycle them properly. Nowadays I try and cycle the cans every six months or so.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
6 April 2024, 11:21,
Iv a few gallons of paraffin, iv used it last winter just to test it .
Burnt just fine I inherited it from my dad when he downsized around 14/15 years ago.

I do shake it well every time I'm in the shed and I can remember...weather that makes a difference....?
Survive the jive (youtube )
6 April 2024, 11:26,
(5 April 2024, 21:15)earthman Wrote: Anyone got first hand experience of using diesel after it's been stored for a long time? Have you had any problems when trying to run a vehicle, generator etc on months or years old stored fuel? Going by what I've found out so far, does it really only store well for 6 to 12 months??

I'm more familiar with petrol in general to be honest but I do own a diesel pickup and more recently fitted a diesel heater inside my

garage/workshop. I was

thinking on stocking up on red diesel just for my heater really but I guess that there's no point in buying it now, better to wait a few months until the start of this Winter??

I'm interested in how you get on with your heater .
Did you fit it yourself
Was it a cheapo Chinese one
How it runs ,cost ect .
6 April 2024, 19:58,
(6 April 2024, 00:46)Skean Dhude Wrote: My diesel van doesn't get much use and the fuel that I am currently using is over two years old. It is still going fine and without hiccups. In the past I've used fuel that is around five years old in the car. I have spare cans and in the past I've frequently forgotten to cycle them properly. Nowadays I try and cycle the cans every six months or so.

Like with food expiration dates, it seems that we are being lied to somewhat hey?

The other year I were clearing out my garage, the multi fuel stove that I have taken with me on many a camping trips still had petrol in it, I gave it a few pumps, it fired up OK and boiled a kettle of water no problem. I was amazed really, the last camping trip I used this stove on were 20 plus years ago! I thought that there's no way that petrol is going to ignite period, how wrong I were.

I really don't know if or how much ethanol content may have been in that petrol bought that long ago but I doubt that the E10 that's sold today will last that long.
6 April 2024, 20:10,
(6 April 2024, 11:26)Sunna Wrote: I'm interested in how you get on with your heater .
Did you fit it yourself
Was it a cheapo Chinese one
How it runs ,cost ect .

Yes, I fitted it myself, it's one of the cheapest ones, basic controller, no option of timer etc but that's fine for me, I just turn it on/off when I'm in the garage, it certainly works well/takes the chill out of my garage, I haven't had it long enough to work out any costs etc but there's a ton of information on the net. Some folk are using these to heat their homes instead of using their gas supply.

Here's one guy who really knows these Chinese heaters inside out, he's done a series of videos, I have followed his advice and upgraded the fuel hose for example.

7 April 2024, 11:39,
I've got two of these cheap ones and they work well. My pal fitted one to a campervan and I was surprised how hot it got and how quick it got there. So i bought one to try. Well worth it.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
9 April 2024, 09:57,
Iv used them many times on nights out in the many lorry I drove over the years .
But those heaters were not cheap ones ,many youtubers camper van full timers recommend them but youtube is just full of bs recommendations.

I will check out the yt channel you recommend Earthman
Thanks