Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Aqua-Bugging Out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi Everyone

The more I think about this, the more I'm drawn to the idea of it.

Obviously there are issues with crossing over to Wales. But I'm thinking more along the lines of heading quietly inland, but always remaining close to a source of water.

Water means you'll always have something to drink, but you'll also be near enough to catch fish, ducks, swans, and stuff like that.

People are going to have a bloody crap time trying to 'seige' your BOV. Same as they'll have real issues boarding you or baracading you.

You're going to be safer in a boat, provided you move at night. Also, an inflaitable kayak would mean you could bag it and carry it across land, should you need to change stream, of if your stream dries up.

One major downfall, if the kayak gets a puncture, but also, the possibility of people throwing items at you. At least in a car you have better protection.
A kayak is OK but it isn't big enough for your stuff. Now if it was just to a previously prepared location then yes. You could get around the country easy enough, even up to my place.

Just stay close to the coas and even the crossing to Wales won't be an issue. Just takes a while.
the trouble with Wales is the Welsh, AND you cant pronounce any of the place names!!Big Grin
(5 March 2012, 18:29)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]A kayak is OK but it isn't big enough for your stuff.
A big backpack is about 70 Litres.

A big sea kayak can carry about twice that say 140 Litres with less effort than the backpack (but I still wouldn't want to try and live out of one indefinitely).

A Canadian (open) Canoe (one person) can carry about twice that again say ~300 Litres
A single person in a Canadian Canoe is struggling to maintain manoeuvrability and speed if they really need to get away from someone but if the waterway is wide enough this might not be much of a problem.

A kayak or Canadian canoe can be carried by one person across land but it's hard going and requires at least two trips (one with the canoe and one or more with gear). You're not going to want to leave anything unattended for very long.

Going bigger still you probably need a yacht and a big waterway to navigate it.
There is no hard and fast upper limit but a single person can probably still comfortably control a yacht up to about 25'. This can hold more than a typical car or small van.

If you're near a navigable waterway I think bugging out on the water should be considered.

My biggest concerns are that many waterways only go two ways "up" and "down" the flow. If someone really starts to hunt you you're going to struggle to 'vanish'.

Again multiple people make a "portage" (carrying across land) of canoes a lot easier and allow comfortable control of even bigger yachts up to and including ocean going yachts.
I meant for a complete bug out. I can fill a truck with just my food alone.

And NR, I know Wales is cold but I've not seen that before.
(6 March 2012, 15:02)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]I meant for a complete bug out. I can fill a truck with just my food alone.

Its not your directions I'm worried about its s 13s Navigating Smile
(6 March 2012, 15:28)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]
(6 March 2012, 15:02)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]I meant for a complete bug out. I can fill a truck with just my food alone.

Its not your directions I'm worried about its s 13s Navigating Smile

That's true, I have the worse sense of direction.....EVER!!!

I think bugging out across waterways wouldn't be as bad as you'd expect. A little extra equipment (camo nets) and it would be a pretty simple job to hide the canoe in the day, then paddle at night.

Crossing into Wales by the bridges is apparently massively difficult. But going further up stream, then making a crossing further up would be much easier.

With the kayak/canoe, I think a safer option would be an inflaitable. Anyone that's met me knows I'm not a small guy. With my current task of making my BOB ultra light, adding the canoe/kayak wouldn't make it into an impossible weight. Granted it won't be easy, but it would be doable.
Visions of S13 riding the severn bore at 30 MPH inland with a very worried look on his chops.
I wouldn't go in the water anywhere near the bridges onto Anglesey
The whirlpools in the water are called the swellies, can be hairy.
Pages: 1 2