Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Nationality after an event
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(21 March 2012, 00:02)rburnsrich Wrote: [ -> ]If after an event government fell, mass decrease in population say 70 percent, all infrastructure stopped. would you still be British?

I've never been British, I'm English by nationality, British is just a political designation for polticians and passports showing the bearer comes from England, Scotland, Wales or Ulster.

BUT after the SHTF I wont give a flying **** as to what race, creed or colour anyone is, survivalists will be my clanfolk , and sheeple the threat.
(21 March 2012, 00:13)rburnsrich Wrote: [ -> ]If you managed to survive and scratch out a life for you and yours and then heard Cornwall was occupied by French fisherman would you fight to get it back.

Culturally the Bretons and Normans are very closely related to the Cornish and Devonians so they may unify for mutual support anyway.
The only change would likely be two dialects instead of one no one can understand, plus better quality cheese and wine. Everyone I know would pay the French to take the south east away for us.
If I had to pick a nationality I would be NORTHUMBRIAN as that great historical nation stopped at the Tweed in the north and the Humber in the south. A place where after some initial bother Vikings, Norse, Saxons, Jutes, Danes, a few Celts, etc settled down on got on pretty well, the rot only set in when we became part of the London controlled country.
As popeye says...."I am what I am"... English, French, Spanish, German, Chinese... Makes no difference to me.
I have german, then Huguenot then Welsh, north Devon area then American heritage
Most of my family name went to the U.S. on the Mayflower... we stayed behind... Now manchester... Spreading like a biblical plague...
i am Devonian 1st, then English-i have NEVER been British never mind that horrible term "European"!
I'll be alive. That'll be the main criteria.

After that I'll be British.
(21 March 2012, 14:51)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]I'll be alive. That'll be the main criteria.

you must be a little green man then SD? you mean your not English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish? the British Isles is where we all live but unless your an immigrant there is no such animal as British!
(21 March 2012, 17:37)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]
(21 March 2012, 14:51)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]I'll be alive. That'll be the main criteria.

you must be a little green man then SD? you mean your not English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish? the British Isles is where we all live but unless your an immigrant there is no such animal as British!
nope forget that, even immigrants aint british, there Anglo whatever!

I was born in Scotland so if they go their own way I'll get dueal nationality which will mean I can scrap my UK KGB style passport. I see myself as part of the UK though and not from Scotland I've been down here since I was 10.
(21 March 2012, 17:40)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]I was born in Scotland so if they go their own way I'll get dueal nationality which will mean I can scrap my UK KGB style passport. I see myself as part of the UK though and not from Scotland I've been down here since I was 10.

better hang onto it then, they might put in border posts like Hadrian did!Tongue
I hope so. Keep you lot out. A preppers paradise, except for Glasgow of course.
fair enough, i wonder if we can do the same in Devon?
I have pondered for a while about this subject. I suspect that if all society broke down, then after TSHTF as put forward, then being English in Wales might not be a popular move. There are still burnings out of English settlers now in rural North Wales. The same scenario could be for Scotland, where there is a percentage population resentment to English now. This has always been so and is a historical legacy. Ok, many folks don't have this attitude, maybe even the majority, but there is that hard core that do and this would easily grow rapidly after the event. Some folks may be lucky - others not. Still it is a risk consideration. Look at how communities can divide along ethnic lines when political or economic or any other major trouble strikes. It may well be a regionally localised issue, but until it happens we will not know.
This is without any ethnic religious divides that may spring up in certain urban areas, as militia road blocks appear to protect whats theirs!
Originally these Islands were known by the Romans to be inhabited by the "Britons" and so they called the Islands "Britannia", which is a Latin name. From this we in modern times derive the word "British". This has come to be viewed as a racial/cultural name tag, whereas "Briton" was just describing an inhabitant of these Isles, which was actually made up of many different factions (tribes). Northunbrian, Mercian, Derian, South Sax, West Sax, North Sax, East Sax etc etc are just much later variations of this tribal political power groupings that still resonate today. The original term "Britons" was all encompassing. It appears that being a "Briton" is not the same as being "British" and so for those that merely wish to state some form of geographical identity, then being a Briton it may be a satisfactory definition, whereas the term "British" may have become too politically unsettling?
Wether any layman would pick up on the slightly different terminology is another question?? lol
It could be that old county names may be reffered to as a common understanding, then with major EX-population centres being a local pointer to ones origin - much the same as now. No reason to change it. Most of the old counties were actually based on Roman provincial land divisions. This was re-inforced and complicated more - or made more efficient - depends on your viewpoint, by the Saxons.

Do you notice how the French media & politicians refer to British & American political moves as - Anglo Saxon (moves). I have noticed this over the last few years and it would seem to me to be they use it with disdain, almost as a slur - a hangover from that exceedingly large chip on their shoulder due to our historical military differences. All this and with them wishing to push us all into one big happy European brotherhood. Our media does not label them Gauls or gallic, yet they pesist in this type of derogetory name calling and at the highest level - Even Sarkozy uses the phrase. This shows their real feelings behind the mask of European brotherhood. Whilst it is probably only a minority that harbour these thoughts, it is the power minority and so their decisions & motives after SHTF will be a definite driver. So being an Anglo Saxon settler in some remote part of France in a PSHTF scenario may result in less friends than one thought and a popularity contest could end badly. I sometimes wonder if relocating outside ones national identity is often going to be a wise move - as you could easily become the outsider in stressful times - and outsiders are to be feared and resources protected from them or requisitioned etc. I am not saying this will happen all the time, but it has historical provenance. People can become very tribal in the right situation and individual logic is obscured in the herd mentality. It is food for thought. I do not have any final conclusions on this - only beware the greener grass...??? Regards, TL.
Maybe no one will care where you are from... Especially if there is nobody left. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3