Survival UK Forums

Full Version: hunting with a crossbow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
If I wanted, hypothetically, to take a deer with a crossbow. How long would I have to expect to wait for it to bleed out? I know it depends on where it's shot, and what point I'm using - but just a rough guess would be fine. I don't want to have to track the thing for miles, or cause it any unnecessary suffering. Nice clean kill.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

BeardyMan
I've no practical experience but from what I have seen on the DVDs and films using a broadhead in the critical area, where you would shoot it, they bleed out very quickly and only move a few yards before collapsing. Of course if you miss they can get quite far.
Trapping is much more effective.... too many people seem to want to rely on crossbows.
(1 October 2012, 09:13)BrixhamBadger Wrote: [ -> ]Trapping is much more effective.... too many people seem to want to rely on crossbows.

Hi BB, I understand that trapping is a much more effective way of procuring food. Thing is this is public woodland and I don't want to leave anything there that could injure anything that I'm not going to eat (dogs / children / badgers) as I can only get down there on the occasional weekday evening, then at weekends.

Were this a SHTF scenario then rest assured, traps would be set and anything caught would be eaten.

(1 October 2012, 09:17)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]Were this a SHTF scenario then rest assured, traps would be set and anything caught would be eaten.

At that point even the kids would make a nice snack.
(1 October 2012, 09:47)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]
(1 October 2012, 09:17)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]Were this a SHTF scenario then rest assured, traps would be set and anything caught would be eaten.

At that point even the kids would make a nice snack.

Oh yes. Snack or bait for bigger fish
having no experience of killing with a bow ( being illegal here ) i can one compare it to shooting a deer with a .308 even e direct hit on a deers heart can give different results some deer will drop right yo the ground stone dead and others can bolt and run over a 100 feet away , as for bleed out do you mean bleed to death ?
(1 October 2012, 09:52)Tigs Wrote: [ -> ]having no experience of killing with a bow ( being illegal here ) i can one compare it to shooting a deer with a .308 even e direct hit on a deers heart can give different results some deer will drop right yo the ground stone dead and others can bolt and run over a 100 feet away , as for bleed out do you mean bleed to death ?

Bleed to death - loose enough blood to stop them running. Either way really, as long as they don't leg it too far. Wouldn't want to be spotted by a dog walker wrestling a half dead dear to the ground. Might not do too much for my public image. I already resemble a Taliban reject...
in which case they can run up to 100ft away even with a kill shot . the best shot would be through the brain right between the eyes! its a pretty hard shot and the reason stalkers aim for the heart
(1 October 2012, 10:03)Tigs Wrote: [ -> ]in which case they can run up to 100ft away even with a kill shot . the best shot would be through the brain right between the eyes! its a pretty hard shot and the reason stalkers aim for the heart

100ft is okay. My friend tried to tell me it could take 6 hours for them to bleed out... I had to point out that I would be using a crossbow, not tickling it to death.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5