Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hunting with a crossbow
1 October 2012, 08:52,
hunting with a crossbow
If I wanted, hypothetically, to take a deer with a crossbow. How long would I have to expect to wait for it to bleed out? I know it depends on where it's shot, and what point I'm using - but just a rough guess would be fine. I don't want to have to track the thing for miles, or cause it any unnecessary suffering. Nice clean kill.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

BeardyMan
1 October 2012, 09:07,
RE: hunting with a crossbow
I've no practical experience but from what I have seen on the DVDs and films using a broadhead in the critical area, where you would shoot it, they bleed out very quickly and only move a few yards before collapsing. Of course if you miss they can get quite far.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 October 2012, 09:13,
Trapping is much more effective.... too many people seem to want to rely on crossbows.
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
1 October 2012, 09:17,
(1 October 2012, 09:13)BrixhamBadger Wrote: Trapping is much more effective.... too many people seem to want to rely on crossbows.

Hi BB, I understand that trapping is a much more effective way of procuring food. Thing is this is public woodland and I don't want to leave anything there that could injure anything that I'm not going to eat (dogs / children / badgers) as I can only get down there on the occasional weekday evening, then at weekends.

Were this a SHTF scenario then rest assured, traps would be set and anything caught would be eaten.

1 October 2012, 09:47,
(1 October 2012, 09:17)BeardyMan Wrote: Were this a SHTF scenario then rest assured, traps would be set and anything caught would be eaten.

At that point even the kids would make a nice snack.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 October 2012, 09:52,
(1 October 2012, 09:47)Skean Dhude Wrote:
(1 October 2012, 09:17)BeardyMan Wrote: Were this a SHTF scenario then rest assured, traps would be set and anything caught would be eaten.

At that point even the kids would make a nice snack.

Oh yes. Snack or bait for bigger fish
1 October 2012, 09:52,
having no experience of killing with a bow ( being illegal here ) i can one compare it to shooting a deer with a .308 even e direct hit on a deers heart can give different results some deer will drop right yo the ground stone dead and others can bolt and run over a 100 feet away , as for bleed out do you mean bleed to death ?
1 October 2012, 09:54,
(1 October 2012, 09:52)Tigs Wrote: having no experience of killing with a bow ( being illegal here ) i can one compare it to shooting a deer with a .308 even e direct hit on a deers heart can give different results some deer will drop right yo the ground stone dead and others can bolt and run over a 100 feet away , as for bleed out do you mean bleed to death ?

Bleed to death - loose enough blood to stop them running. Either way really, as long as they don't leg it too far. Wouldn't want to be spotted by a dog walker wrestling a half dead dear to the ground. Might not do too much for my public image. I already resemble a Taliban reject...
1 October 2012, 10:03,
in which case they can run up to 100ft away even with a kill shot . the best shot would be through the brain right between the eyes! its a pretty hard shot and the reason stalkers aim for the heart
1 October 2012, 10:13,
(1 October 2012, 10:03)Tigs Wrote: in which case they can run up to 100ft away even with a kill shot . the best shot would be through the brain right between the eyes! its a pretty hard shot and the reason stalkers aim for the heart

100ft is okay. My friend tried to tell me it could take 6 hours for them to bleed out... I had to point out that I would be using a crossbow, not tickling it to death.