Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Choosing between a compound, recurve or crossbow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
no worries mate i defer to your greater experience in the field Smile

cheers for the info
(16 October 2012, 14:29)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]TH I believe that far more hunters in the US use compounds for hunting than trad bows like the beautiful flat bows mentioned earlier. But being totally magnanimous I'll let you treat me to either ? Smile
I agree there are far more hunters in the US using compounds, this is due to very good advertising by the bow companies, and the promise of being able to shoot more powerful bows than you could otherwise handle, coupled with the faster arrow speeds they produce. One reason they shoot faster arrows is that their arrows tend to be very light carbon -alloy etc, but arrow speed is a seductive argument at best, its the same argument regarding the velocity of a 5.56 as opposed to the knock down power of a 7.62 ya pays yer money and takes yer choice. Quality makes the biggest difference to anything bows included, I have been using the same bow now for over twenty years (czaba Grozer Mongol) and it has never let me down and will no doubt see me through, I doubt if any of the compound bows available today will see twenty years of regular use without having something go wrong.
I've got a couple of English longbows I don't use and I might consider donating them for the cause, but do you have a jaunty green hat with a feather in it and a CodpieceBig Grin

This is the type of bow I use, lets see your compounds do this, enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yorHswhz...detailpage
(16 October 2012, 15:04)Tartar Horde Wrote: [ -> ]I have been using the same bow now for over twenty years (czaba Grozer Mongol) and it has never let me down and will no doubt see me through

you lucky bugger thats the sort of bow ive always dreamed of!
(16 October 2012, 15:04)Tartar Horde Wrote: [ -> ].
I've got a couple of English longbows I don't use and I might consider donating them for the cause, but do you have a jaunty green hat with a feather in it and a CodpieceBig Grin

Codpiece !!! Hrrumph I'm NR I needed a Whalepiece sited tween my lovehandles Smile
(16 October 2012, 15:32)Hrusai Wrote: [ -> ]
(16 October 2012, 15:04)Tartar Horde Wrote: [ -> ]I have been using the same bow now for over twenty years (czaba Grozer Mongol) and it has never let me down and will no doubt see me through

Dont get to wound up hrusai mon ami, hes had the mongle bow for 20 years but they dont let him have arrows yet Smile
If I could find spare parts for a compound, then that's what I would most likely go for.
(16 October 2012, 15:52)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]
(16 October 2012, 15:04)Tartar Horde Wrote: [ -> ].

Codpiece !!! Hrrumph I'm NR I needed a Whalepiece sited tween my lovehandles Smile
(16 October 2012, 15:32)Hrusai Wrote: [ -> ]

Dont get to wound up hrusai mon ami, hes had the mongle bow for 20 years but they dont let him have arrows yet Smile
hehe arrows aint the problem mate its the fookin horse, have ya seen how much they cost to keep
(16 October 2012, 15:57)Tartar Horde Wrote: [ -> ]hehe arrows aint the problem mate its the fookin horse, have ya seen how much they cost to keep

not to mention they eat slightly more than i do xD
(16 October 2012, 16:08)Hrusai Wrote: [ -> ]
(16 October 2012, 15:57)Tartar Horde Wrote: [ -> ]hehe arrows aint the problem mate its the fookin horse, have ya seen how much they cost to keep

not to mention they eat slightly more than i do xD

good thing about a horse is that if it breaks down you can eat itTongue
(16 October 2012, 15:54)Tibbs735 Wrote: [ -> ]If I could find spare parts for a compound, then that's what I would most likely go for.

Try thinking laterally mon ami, examples such as Barnetts Banshee quad 25 lb draw compound bow can be had for just over £45, SMKs Nova 26 to 40 pound draw compound bow is only £40, a decent recurve will set you back at least £100 for a quality bit of kit like TH is so rightly proud of. So I bought THREE Banshees for £150 if one breaks I just pick up another and get the other fixed when I can.

I go for the steel wired ones cos though more basic the coated steel wire lasts longer than polyester string, and I can buy wire and crimping bits from B & Q for a few quid.

I think a good prepper should be master of both compound and recurve worlds, it wont do you any harm to get a budget compound AND a budget recurve and learn string making ???

Currently not as much as my spoilt brat who has decided he cannot live with an I 5 !!!! if he thinks I'm wsting £500 plus quid on a phone he is going to be very disappointed.
TH how do you get your horse in your Bug Out Bag ... I know he goes in one side pocket and his food in the other !!! Smile
The horse IS my bug out bag, permanent four wheel drive go anywhere runs on grass. £100 for a decent recurve!! I wish lol, more like £300-400, I think we are coming to this from different ends of the archery spectrum NR, buying a few cheap bows and using them for spare parts etc as and when they break down seems to me as false economy, the old adage "you buy cheap, you buy twice" rings true, buy quality and you only buy once. But any bow you can afford, be it from the lower quality end or high is better than none isn't it. Tibbs735 if you really want to get a compound look at the composition of the limbs as this really affects the shooting characteristics. Glass fibre limbs are sluggish and don't store energy as efficiently as carbon composite ones, If you buy a bow where the limbs can be changed for more efficient ones you can upgrade your bow at a later date. On some compounds you can change the profile of the cams allowing different "let off" weights this is useful as you can fine tune the bow for your shooting style. Don't forget folks, you can have the best bow in the world, but it is only as good as the arrows you are shooting, Arrows are the REAl key to archery, but that's a whole different can of worms
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5