Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Choosing between a compound, recurve or crossbow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(18 October 2012, 09:13)Tibbs735 Wrote: [ -> ]How would you reccomend carrying arrows? Across the back or waist etc.
(18 October 2012, 09:13)Tibbs735 Wrote: [ -> ]How would you reccomend carrying arrows? Across the back or waist etc.
I imagine it would be possible to reload a bow far faster than a crossbow anyway.

a BACK quiver is the traditional way of carrying arrows, and yes, i imagine it is faster to reload a bow than a crossbow.
I imagine it would be possible to reload a bow far faster than a crossbow anyway.

Traditional archers wear a quiver across their backs pointing to the right shoulder for right handed archers and point at left shoulder for lefties, modern sports archers who just stand still and punch holes in paper use wastebelt hung quivers that slope backwards. Modern hunters often use bow mounted quivers on compounds.

Preppers ten to use shoulder quivers or affix quivers or a tube to their rucksacks.

Average seven arrows to one bolt IIRC if fired fast and unaimed, 1 to 3 or 4 aimed but dont forget if its just a single massively powerful well aimed shot you are after the crossbow wins hands down. You can leave it cocked and loaded for hours as you stalk your target, and a heavy duty bolt from a powerful crossbow has truly awesome kintetic energy that can smash holes through very think timber or possibly body armour, or fitted with a round blunt tip it can hit with the power of a sledgehammer.

You have probably seen the benefits of compounds, recurves and crossbows on many TV shows. Crossbows used by the redneck on The Walking dead , utterly silent and dealy weapon that can be kept cocked and ready to use all day, reloaded under 12 seconds. Recurves used in films like the HUNGER GAMES etc
Note, depending on fitness a healthy well fit experienced crossbowman can cock a 150 to 180 pound X bow without a pully or cocking aid. Joe Average SHOULD if fit, skilled and careful SHOULD be able to do the same with a 100 to 125 pound x bow after practise and time and building up the right muscle groups.

However middle aged flabby retards like me shoulds not try cocking anything over 100 pounds without a cocking aid.
If you have a sus or dodgy back crossbows are not reccomended for use without a cocking aid which does make life easier but does slow down reload times. If you are buggered around your back like me i reccomend recurve or compound bows not crossbows.
Hmmm just been reading about a RECURVE bow that may just about, possibly, maybe, just could fit the criteria for an EDC bow.
Y'know how imported I place SIZE as an issue for a bow, because using normal bows in buildings and confined spaces its bloody difficult. (Most Recurves go from 54 inches to 72 inches long compared to Compounds going from 28 inches to 39 inches thus being far more convenient and manageable)

Anyhoo Page 13 of the QUICKS archery catalogue list two possible comprimises
Bow A a SAMICK HUNTER only 50 inches long one piece laminated bow and available in 30 to 60 pound draw weights
Bow C a KAYA Korean traditional bow only 48 inches long, one piece laminated bow and available in 30 to 55 pound draw weights.

So now I just have to get hold of one to try out !!!
NR
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5