Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Shaving post SHTF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just a quick question about shaving once TSHTF.

Will anyone be doing it, if so, how?

Has anyone tried the ceramic razors? They don't rust and apparently remain sharp for 10-20 times long than a standard steel razor blade.

Any views and opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Shaving???? whats shaving??? TongueBig GrinAngel
I'd do as I do now, shave in summer grow a beard in winter and yes I can get a knife sharp enough to shave withCool
i'd just use a knife meself, although whether i shaved or not would depend on level of disaster, total bug out scenario living in the wilds i certainly wouldnt, but if its just a bug in scenario then i would probly do what T-oddity does Tongue

as for ceramic razors ill probly buy some reasonably soon (use razors at work everyday so they would be useful) so will give feedback on those once ive tried them!
if you ARE going to shave buy some packs of those cheap disposable (BIC??) razors for your preps.
Barter item? I imagine a lot of people will want shaved heads after a few weeks with no shampoo
(23 October 2012, 14:48)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Just a quick question about shaving once TSHTF.

Has anyone tried the ceramic razors? They don't rust and apparently remain sharp for 10-20 times long than a standard steel razor blade.

Never heard of ceramic razors, please tell me more, As for shaving, hair cuts, hygiene etc it will be obligatory for everyone in my group to meet minimum hygiene standards, so beards will be neatly trimmed if people want beards, Ladies hair will be paigeboy, or bobbed or trimmed and tied back, perhaps platted, In a rural post apoc world with failed public utilities and hygiene systems one flea in the scalp/ one missed hand wash after taking a dump/ one tick in your hairy bits etc could see a community wiped out. I personally dont feel clean unless I shave on average of once every other day and cut my hair each week. People like to have beards and long hair, I dont have an issue with that so long as the extra grooming for hygiene goes with it.

One caveat though, If there are frequent or persistant threats of airborne infection or perhaps some nasty people use chemical munitions I would expect everyone to be close shaved so they can get good seals on their respirators.
(23 October 2012, 15:45)Tibbs735 Wrote: [ -> ]Barter item? I imagine a lot of people will want shaved heads after a few weeks with no shampoo

I do that now, not used shampoo since the 80s, I just lather up and weild the bic razor from adams apple to back of neck.
(23 October 2012, 16:08)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]
(23 October 2012, 14:48)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone tried the ceramic razors? They don't rust and apparently remain sharp for 10-20 times long than a standard steel razor blade.

Never heard of ceramic razors, please tell me more

http://www.heinnie.com/Ceramic-Utility-B...-0-0-8094/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceramic_knife

that should help Smile
(23 October 2012, 14:48)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Just a quick question about shaving once TSHTF.

Never heard of ceramic razors, please tell me more, As for shaving, hair cuts, hygiene etc it will be obligatory for everyone in my group to meet minimum hygiene standards, so beards will be neatly trimmed if people want beards, Ladies hair will be paigeboy, or bobbed or trimmed and tied back, perhaps platted, In a rural post apoc world with failed public utilities and hygiene systems one flea in the scalp/ one missed hand wash after taking a dump/ one tick in your hairy bits etc could see a community wiped out. I personally dont feel clean unless I shave on average of once every other day and cut my hair each week. People like to have beards and long hair, I dont have an issue with that so long as the extra grooming for hygiene goes with it.

One caveat though, If there are frequent or persistant threats of airborne infection or perhaps some nasty people use chemical munitions I would expect everyone to be close shaved so they can get good seals on their respirators.
(23 October 2012, 15:45)Tibbs735 Wrote: [ -> ]Barter item? I imagine a lot of people will want shaved heads after a few weeks with no shampoo

I do that now, not used shampoo since the 80s, I just lather up and weild the bic razor from adams apple to back of neck.

you cut your hair once a week? WHAT HAIR?? you've got a shaved head for crying out loud!!TongueBig GrinAngel
i think that no matter what your hygeine standards are, if someone were to DICTATE how others wear their hair or if men can have a beard or not, that person will very quickly find them selves in a group of ONE...sorry, thats just human nature...
(23 October 2012, 16:36)Hrusai Wrote: [ -> ]
(23 October 2012, 14:48)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone tried the ceramic razors? They don't rust and apparently remain sharp for 10-20 times long than a standard steel razor blade.

Never heard of ceramic razors, please tell me more

http://www.heinnie.com/Ceramic-Utility-B...-0-0-8094/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceramic_knife

that should help Smile

Dont think they are designed for shaving wiff Smile
Pages: 1 2 3