Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Have you got a (guard) dog?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
When we returned to the UK a couple of years ago I was rather surprised at the situation concerning general safety and the uneasiness reported by so many people. We had returned with an elderly dog - a lovely old chap but so laid back that under no circumstances would he be a help in any "situation". When he died we decided to adopt another dog, and we now have a rather bossy Collie.

I was quite interested to be told by a friendly neighbour that there had been a few problems regarding theft from property, and it was implied that a lot of the problems were caused by travellers or local immigrants. Now, I have nothing against travellers as such - we are all entitled to live by our own lights - but they do have a bit of a reputation.

I do now realise the benefits of owning a really territorial dog. Not only does our Collie do the perimeter patrol thing, but he is also distinctly unwelcoming to strangers. He sleeps beside our bed at night and will get up growling to investigate if he hears any strange noises. We were told by the rehoming people that he had "problems" and had bitten people in the past, but I now regard this as a distinct plus.

We live in a fairly rural area and on dark nights going out to check on the livestock can be a bit scary - not now we have the Guardian Collie! My OH is confident at leaving me alone at home if he is away, and to be honest I put a lot of trust in our dog.

So, do you have a dog, and do you use him as a guardian?
Oh yes. Got a huge Rottweiler. He's really soft with us and the little one, but he has a mighty bark. He's very protective too, 2 blokes tried to hassle the wife a few months back, he was only 4 or 5 months old then. They got a bit too close for him, and he went for both of them. If the lead had been longer I've no doubt he would have bitten both, as he lunged for the face of the closest one.
Now he's nearly 9 months old, and he's extremely strong. I put on my thick coat and fight with him, he's doing well, goes straight for the arm / wrist, grabs and pulls.

Just the look of him puts most people off coming too close to the house. And should anyone come too close to the front door they soon jump back when he lets rip with his deep bark and growl and charges at the front door Smile
got three dogs ,funny good dogs they will let you in but they wont let you out which can be funny when the gas man comes round
I had a pal that trained his dog to go for the groin. Many people protect themselves on the arm. This gives you the ability to go for the upper half without fear of being bitten by accident.
(22 January 2013, 11:53)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]I had a pal that trained his dog to go for the groin. Many people protect themselves on the arm. This gives you the ability to go for the upper half without fear of being bitten by accident.

How'd he do that? I don't much fancy letting him practice on me!
got a 10 year old Cairn terrier bitch, backs at every little noise!!Big Grin talking about dogs, i would rather break into a car with a pair of Alsations/German Shepherds in than a pair of Jack Russell Terriers!
I have a staffy hes scared of his own shadow but they have a bad reputation and people are automaticaly wary
Yup, got a Were -terrier, Border terrier / JR / Were wolf cross with hearing that is unblievable, I dont want a guard dog per se i want a dog that growls to let me know there is someone about, currently he is standing on top of the wheelie bin snarling at the poor window cleaner.
dogs - the only thing that loves you more than they love themselves.
(22 January 2013, 13:23)Hex Wrote: [ -> ]dogs - the only thing that loves you more than they love themselves.

nice one i like that
Pages: 1 2 3