Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Advice wanted/needed for big hike. Not prepper related
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
a trick my granddad told me is when you get hot spots in your boots rub vaseline into them when you are breaking them in ,it does work

(1 February 2013, 09:15)Barneyboy Wrote: [ -> ]a trick my granddad told me is when you get hot spots in your boots rub vaseline into them when you are breaking them in ,it does work

an yes were too pairs of socks one thin one thick the thin ones first then the thick one s on top
Do not know enough to help rob but good luck and good on you mate
Elastoplasts over your nipples, field dressings or sanitary pads over your shoulders both to stop the straps on your rucksack rubbing your skin raw,
only wear loose cotton undies to absorb sweat,
liberally apply vaseline to your crotch to stop chaffing.
If you have had blisters before then start off with silicone blister patchesto begin with,
ensure your toe nails are very well trimmed to prevent the edge of a nail abrading the toe next to it.
If you are allowed a rest stop of more than a few minutes boots OFF, feet washed, feet talced, fresh socks, change blister pads.
Drink lots of water or your calf muscles will seize up
Monitor your electrolites and take Diorolite as neccessary
Eat little and often to prevent sugar crashes and tummy cramps.
Dont wear brand new boots.
NR

(31 January 2013, 23:45)Geordie_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys & girls, I've volunteered myself for a 100km charity hike (to be completed in a 30hr time limit) in June & was wondering if anyone can offer any advice from any experience they may have. The longest walk I've done before is about 10 miles so its certainly going to be a challenge for me.

Things like avoiding blisters, keeping moral up if wind & rain is blowing in your face etc.. Any useful tips will be greatly appreciated.
Really truly my best advice is to get somebody else to do it, whilst you have breakfast in a cafe then catch up in time for dinner at a chipshop ...
I think thats the best way if you ask me...scythes keen on that sort of thing, I'm sure he'll do it for you!!!
(1 February 2013, 09:49)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Elastoplasts over your nipples, field dressings or sanitary pads over your shoulders both to stop the straps on your rucksack rubbing your skin raw,
If you have had blisters before then start off with silicone blister patchesto begin with,
ensure your toe nails are very well trimmed to prevent the edge of a nail abrading the toe next to it.
If you are allowed a rest stop of more than a few minutes boots OFF, feet washed, feet talced, fresh socks, change blister pads.
NR

(31 January 2013, 23:45)Geordie_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys & girls, I've volunteered myself for a 100km charity hike (to be completed in a 30hr time limit) in June & was wondering if anyone can offer any advice from any experience they may have. The longest walk I've done before is about 10 miles so its certainly going to be a challenge for me.

Things like avoiding blisters, keeping moral up if wind & rain is blowing in your face etc.. Any useful tips will be greatly appreciated.

bloody wright NR you will need to shave you chest ,and some grease for your balls and legs around them 100 miles is a long way to walk pal in 30 hours thats going to be a bastard!!! good luck pal.

(1 February 2013, 12:58)Prepper1 Wrote: [ -> ]Really truly my best advice is to get somebody else to do it, whilst you have breakfast in a cafe then catch up in time for dinner at a chipshop ...
I think thats the best way if you ask me...scythes keen on that sort of thing, I'm sure he'll do it for you!!!

now that is a bloody good idea P1Big Grin
BEST WAY IS FOLLOWING IN A 4 TONNER WITH BEER...
LAUGHTING YOUR KNACKERS OFF AT WHOS WALKING...
JUST KEEP WALKING. Slow and steady.
Food luck, a friend does the allendale challenge in under 10hours, for her training they only do upto 18miles and she swears by those walking sticks, handy coming downhill and on a straightpath they help maintain your speed. I wear 2sets of socks thin with bigger on top daily, if I go on long walks I rarley get blisters
Some folks start off wearing footwear like Airmax trainers then swap into boots later on, others do it other way round, i just stick with worn in approach shoes.
(1 February 2013, 09:49)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Elastoplasts over your nipples, field dressings or sanitary pads over your shoulders both to stop the straps on your rucksack rubbing your skin raw,
NR

Smile... these tip brought back a few memorys..Smile, but I think you missed a couple,.. if its hard boots you are buying, pi*s in them, and wash your feet in vinigar a few times,... the first softens the leather, and the second hardens your feet,.... both make you stink though
Pages: 1 2 3