Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Advice wanted/needed for big hike. Not prepper related
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The thick pair of socks and a liner pair works well for me also and merino wool socks are highly reted as well
Cheers everyone for the tips.

I've been out today & bought elastoplasts, cheap Vaseline & blister plasters.

Which would be best (or are they both the same), the dressings or the lady pads?

Metro, I'm gonna invest in a couple of those sticks mate. I used to have loads of walking gear but my mrs made me flog it all. All I've got is my bag & boots left.

So would I be right in assuming the common tip is thin lightweight socks with thicker heavy duty socks over those? Just making sure I've picked it up right Smile
Aye thars how I wear my socks

Working security at olympics 90% of staff had problems with there feet 12hour shifts when your not used to boots is never a good thing
Cheers mate.

See I've worked it out that I only have to do at least 2.1 mph (or there abouts).

If I can jog to start with, it'll give me a good start for when I'm buggered later on & can only manage to walk. The only thing that'll throw a spanner in the works is some of it is through the hills rather than on the road. If I have to start on hills it'll bugger me right up.
(1 February 2013, 20:51)Geordie_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]So would I be right in assuming the common tip is thin lightweight socks with thicker heavy duty socks over those? Just making sure I've picked it up right Smile

I agree,....... but I wouldnt suggest nylon against the skin
is it the white rose walk you're doing by any chance? did that one about 30 years ago with a bunch of lads from blaydon youth club. one of them had to be casevac'd with heat exhaustion after about 9 miles.
if you're carrying a pack i wouldn't try jogging as this would give your knees and ankles a hell of a pounding and could cause injuries/ problems. better a good,steady pace from the off.
It's the oxfam walk mate.

The packs shouldn't be too bad as you have support teams that you meet at designated RV points. Things like tents can be left out & just carry a lightweight emergency shelter just incase.

Cheers for advice though, ill let the lads know.
Last one I did was a 24 hour jobby on the NYM, organised by the Scouts, like the Lyke wake Walk but at night, 24 miles IRRC, Ferkin heather drove me insane as you had to drag your feet through it every step for hours, it was like walking in toffee.
I got it wrong. It's the dales rather than the moors. They're all hills to me Smile

Start/finish point is skipton.
Pages: 1 2 3