Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Neanderthal die off caused by lack of skill
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I find this very very interesting as it offers a theory that Neanderthal man died out cos all the big game had gone ( like much of Europe today) and they did not have the nouse or skill to catch small game like rabbit, hare, pheasant, grouse, duck etc.

I think after a prolonged disaster event affecting the UK it will be those of us with the knowledge and skills to identify and kill small game that will survive and the unskilled masses will die off because they have never learned how to set a trap, stalk a rabbit, catch a fish etc who will survive. Equally those folks who can also identify wild edible foliage and plants who will get through the bet.

So the copper snare wire, air rifle and fishing kit really wants to be given plenty of practice by our members.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...emise.html
I dont think neanderthal did truly die off.
I think it interbread with another hominid and that resulted in us,
we are the missing link and thats why it cant be found.
the missing link became stronger smarter and more capable thaqn its two ancestors.
and ive seen a few humans that still have strong neandertal features.

but thats just a theory. (then again so is about 60% of science)

i had a friend that if you took his german para boots off him, and his designer clothes hed be a dea ringer for a neandertal.
right down to the big brow long arms short body and excess hair.
From what I have watched and read, modern man comes predominantly from Cro Magnon man. There were two competing species, neanderthal and Cro Magnon. Cro Magnon was the taller, leaner, faster and more intelligent of the two. It's believed there was some inter breeding but Neanderthals as a distinct species pretty much died out, unable to adapt as well as Cro magnon man to the changing conditions. If you look at modern humans you can clearly see our predominantly Cro Magnon origins. However, I've been around enough to know there are still plenty of neanderthals amongst us, I'm talking more mentality than appearance Big Grin
you cant say you havent seen any that have neandertal appearances though.
im certain some still exist where the gene balance is slightly more to the neandertal than the cro magnon.

im certain we all have some neandertal genes too.

both neandertal and cro magnon vanished.
leaving us the missing link. that isnt really missing were here.
Hartlepool is still a haven of ridge browed Neanderhals and knuckle draggers Smile Go to little india, the fens or owton manor and cro magnon is still thriving.
(7 March 2013, 11:24)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Hartlepool is still a haven of ridge browed Neanderhals and knuckle draggers Smile Go to little india, the fens or owton manor and cro magnon is still thriving.

No monkeys though Big Grin
(7 March 2013, 11:24)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Hartlepool is still a haven of ridge browed Neanderhals and knuckle draggers Smile Go to little india, the fens or owton manor and cro magnon is still thriving.

and hes not joking, ive seen loads, and funnily enough my m8 was born there.

neandertal didnt go extinct they just moved north into the cold.

theres quiet a few in spain too
Forgetting all the cave man stuff the original post made a very valid point which is owning hunting and fishing equipment is not enough.

Too many people fixate on the endgame of the hunt and the equipment but the skill lies in getting close enough to your prey without being detected.

Anyone can go out and but an airgun, bow or crossbow but not many people can put themselves in the right place at the right time consistently enough to feed a family

Good post
PJ is spot on, I remember when I lived in Norton a local Land owner getting grief of Railtrack cos the huge numbers of rabbits on his land were destabilising the railway embankments, so he organised a shoot over a few weekends to reduce the numbers. All sorts of folks turned with with various air weapons etc from plinkers to expensive fixed barrel lamping gear, and half of em never hit a rabbit. But an older chap and his two sons hunted with catapults and the three of em bags dozens. skill is as important as kit.
i watched the Eddie izzard program "meet the izzards " one of the leading dna experts stated we all have between 2 and 7% Neanderthal dna in our genetic make up
Pages: 1 2 3