Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Cow Juice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Can anyone recommend a powdered milk that can be spooned into a brew as well as used to make up quantities of milk, and doesn't taste like ****?
(10 March 2013, 13:20)24942895 Wrote: [ -> ]Can anyone recommend a powdered milk that can be spooned into a brew as well as used to make up quantities of milk, and doesn't taste like ****?

no sorry it all taste like crapSmile
Crap now but the nectar of the Gods when the real stuff is unavailable. Try different ones and pick the best.
ive got uht milk stored away, (lots) it has a year on the shelf life.
they were all bought on different weeks
we just rotate it whenever one comes close to date.
granted it aint enough to last a full year if used for everything . but only used on certain things it will last about a year.
ive got powdered milk also , but its not the nicest of things
Im classing milk as a luxury, if i have to leave the uht I will ( its heavy) weve always got the powdered to fall back on.

(10 March 2013, 13:22)Barneyboy Wrote: [ -> ]
(10 March 2013, 13:20)24942895 Wrote: [ -> ]Can anyone recommend a powdered milk that can be spooned into a brew as well as used to make up quantities of milk, and doesn't taste like ****?

no sorry it all taste like crapSmile

agreed but sadly uht is heavy and not easy to transport in a hurry, it also takes lots of space.

powdered has its uses.
(10 March 2013, 13:51)Luci_ferson Wrote: [ -> ]ive got uht milk stored away, (lots) it has a year on the shelf life.
they were all bought on different weeks
we just rotate it whenever one comes close to date.
granted it aint enough to last a full year if used for everything . but only used on certain things it will last about a year.
ive got powdered milk also , but its not the nicest of things
Im classing milk as a luxury, if i have to leave the uht I will ( its heavy) weve always got the powdered to fall back on.

I thought of UHT just now when making a brew, I initially thought of those tiny little one-shot containers. I think a few litres of UHT in the stores will get me through a few weeks at home, if I'm buggering off into the sticks it'll be a few packets of coffee/sugar/milk combined, then water (unless I can get my hands on some cows).
we use UHT milk,(rotated) i dont think it will keep for a year, bought some last week and i see it is dated August...so probably 6 months at best, had one of Lidl's UHT milk go OFF after a few weeks, it has to be refrigerated after opening and used up within 3 days, so maybe best not to rely on it solely, best to have a back up store of dried.
we just bought a box of 6 cartons , then 2 weeks later another box of 6,
then 2 weeks later another box of 6
always making sure the dates were higher.
I now have 8 boxes of 6 and counting.

bigpaul is right about being carefull, for uht some actually has a pretty short shelf life, some only 3 months

aldis is same as lidls, very short life
i usually buy 15 at a time-once a month with a "back up" supply of another 10, making 25 in all, this will last us 2 months in an emergency, then we go onto the dried stocks!Big Grin
Just learn to do without it now.

Alternate having brews without milk and maybe sugar as I do.

Tastes weird at first but after a while you can take or leave sugar and milk.
(10 March 2013, 14:16)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]i usually buy 15 at a time-once a month with a "back up" supply of another 10, making 25 in all, this will last us 2 months in an emergency, then we go onto the dried stocks!Big Grin

I plan on using the uht for some things and powdered in all the places it dont matter.
so the uht dont all run out too quick.

(10 March 2013, 14:22)Prepper1 Wrote: [ -> ]Just learn to do without it now.

Alternate having brews without milk and maybe sugar as I do.

Tastes weird at first but after a while you can take or leave sugar and milk.

i can drink tea and coffee without sugar or without milk, it has to have one or the other in.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5