Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Need advice on the best weapons.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey guys I need advice in the best -
Air rifle
Air pistol
Crossbow
Knife.

I want to make sure I have on of each that way depending on the situation I can pick and choose the best ones to take with me if I have to bug out.
Cheers
Hello mate for air rifle have a look at BSA meteor MK 7 and the BSA ultra tactical with a TENCH regulator in .22, a jaguar crossbow by ARMEX is a good choice, air pistols I know nothing about. And for bushcraft Condor do a well rated knife for about £30 I would have a look on YouTube at condor bushcraft knives. Hennie Haines is a good place to get knives and this website is a very good source on information too use the SEARCH facility.
All `weapons`, are tools, it depends on what job you need to do with them either for defense or hunting,... you need a knife as standard anyway, so we can take that one from your list.

Crossbow, if you are talking about the full powered type, then with the right bolt, these are great for hunting, I have a full powered 180lb Jaguar crossbow, and broadhead bolts

Pistol crossbow, [ I know its not on your list ] quiet accurate probably a deterrent so useful as a defense tool, my wife finds them very easy to use

Air rifle, good tool for small game hunting, quiet, I would suggest a springer, as loading a gas air rifle will be impossible after tshtf, I have the Stoeger x20 in .22, although its a heavier rifle than many, but still recommended
........remember that .22 hits harder, but .177 doesnt hit as hard, but can be more accurate on longer shots

Air pistol, not worth bothering with after shtf because you will not have the means to re-charge after your gas runs out,.... although if you have several charges ready, you will for a time have the ability to fire shots in quick sucession, so might be used as a defense weapon
yes mate ,Highlanders right...a crossbow pistol is a handy tool...apparently ! also any ex forces kind of survival knife.....apparently !....also a good quality machete....apparently, maybe a legal limit or just under .22 springer air rifle like a BSA or a Hatsan (Turkish made for Edgar brothers)...I wouldn't bother with an air pistol ...unless it was an old school Webley tempest that's been refurbed, and Louisville slugger baseball bat (with a ball to use with it ).....and maybe....recurve crossbow 150lb limb or a touch bigger for ...erm... shooting paper targets and a slingshot /catapult get some great Barnett ones apparently !!! also a good ole WW2 bayonet for toasting marshmallows over a legal sized camp fire (as dictated by Bruselles...apparently ) sorry mate if that wasn't any help ! Wink
I have found that there are a few air pistols that are very realistic. I thought that maybe simply having a few charges for it and carrying it; it would be a good way of warning off people. And maybe a decent defence weapon and maybe a close in hunting tool. Wot do u think?
A quality spring powered air rifle, like a Weihrauch HW80 or Air Arms TX200 in 0.177 calibre will put a rabbit or pigeon in the pot. Ammunition is light and cheap, buy a good brand like JSB Exact or Air Arms Field. Telescopic sights with at least 50mm objective and a magnification range that goes down to 3 or 4 will allow hunting at dusk, very important. I would recommend a 56mm scope if funds permit.
As to warning people with an air pistol, well ive seen some realistic BB pistols that look like 357 magnums and colt 45 kinda thing that's from about 20 feet away from the side maybe ..BUT up close most people will know its a "pea shooter " IMO .

Also I don't think you need to spend a fortune on an air rifle ....yes you do get what you pay for....you cud buy second hand and get a lot off compared with a dealers new one....and some gun shops sell quality 2nd hand ones with a warranty ...as for a scope a big one is nice ...but id go for a 4 x 32 or a 4 x 40 size just my opinion .RW
a good springer air rifle will last you a lifetime, a Weirhauch is an excellent rifle but its a bit heavy to hold and aim and fire and carry all day in the woods, a BSA meteor is much lighter and a good all round gun, i prefer 22's myself i dont think 177's have enough oomph! a good pistol crossbow like the Armex 80LB is good for shorter distances and the bolts are cheap, i'm not a lover of full size crossbows, too much effort to cock and you could put your back out-as one of our members found out-and i dont think their much good for women or youngsters. any good quality knife is OK, but you'll need several to do different jobs, a general knife and a skinning and gutting knife, a machette wouldnt come amiss either.air pistols arent much cop unless your going to hit someone over the head with the butt and then you'd be better off with a baseball bat!
Or throw the air pistol...!! it wud get some oomph even in .177 when thrown from a tower block !!Tongue
(14 May 2013, 10:31)RoadWarrior Wrote: [ -> ]Or throw the air pistol...!! it wud get some oomph even in .177 when thrown from a tower block !!Tongue

thats true! but i'm just putting my personal opinion and i have never lived in a tower block so i cant really comment!
Pages: 1 2 3