Survival UK Forums

Full Version: My shrinking EDC gear
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm quite pleased with the way I'm maintaining a decent EDC kit but reducing it in size and weight without losing quality.

If this image works for Flickr you can see how I have gone from a 4 inch blade locknife on a 6 inch frame to a UK legal 3 inch blade on a four inch frame. Equally the new EDC flashlight is only 4 inchs long and only uses 1 x AA battery and the tiny Sunnto compass replaces the larger Silva Type 4.

I think I'm more likely to take everything with me if its not to bulky, heavy or intrusive.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93120886@N02/9617617854/
that's a really nice sized torch, how's the brightness? 35 lumen sounds quite dark
Its not the brightest by a long way PF, but its bright enough for most applications like Map reading, Lighting your way, illuminating items for detail, its a good ultra compact lil flashlight about the same output and the earlier 5 LED Inova X 5 I used to EDC.

But its the vicious three point serrated bezel for self defence I like it most for, unlike many UK market serrated bezels this bugger is quite deep and sharp, its a good 5 mm deep serration and the inner radii is sharp.
how are you finding the knife NR?

the few I have aren't really UK legal
(28 August 2013, 19:28)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]I'm quite pleased with the way I'm maintaining a decent EDC kit but reducing it in size and weight without losing quality.

If this image works for Flickr you can see how I have gone from a 4 inch blade locknife on a 6 inch frame to a UK legal 3 inch blade on a four inch frame. Equally the new EDC flashlight is only 4 inchs long and only uses 1 x AA battery and the tiny Sunnto compass replaces the larger Silva Type 4.

I think I'm more likely to take everything with me if its not to bulky, heavy or intrusive.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93120886@N02/9617617854/

Way to go NR.

lightening and minimising the bulk is the way to ensure that an EDC is carried every day.
The Byrd tern is my only UK legal knife I'm more used to CS Voyagers or Blade Tec Hunter Lites all supposedly light and compact in themselves.

The Byrd is the budget brand of Spyderco and I think ( unconfirmed) they come through similar quality control systems if not made in the same factory.

The Tern is a UK legal non locking 3 inch folder with synthetic scales and it made in China of 8Cr13MoV stainless pocket clip is 1.5 mm stainless steel wire scales secured with three TORX bolts TBH I love it, its a joy to use as an EDC blade.
The natty design means when you hold the blade in the open position your index finger sits in the serrated notch that is actually part of the cutting blade, which prevents the bugger from closing over your fingers accidentally. Clip point thumb opening, budget price, retains edge quite well, easy to sharpen if needed. Light, compact, low profile.

So low profile that I clip the knife and my new mini flashlight to the inside of the same pocket side by side, now that IS handy cos noth Flashlight and Blade are only 4 inches long ( when folded)
thanks Nr sounds useful will have to pick up one
Bout £26 compared with the almost identical Spyderco UK legal version for £ 50
(29 August 2013, 09:06)MCavity Wrote: [ -> ]Looks good is this the fella?
http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/spyde...2348-p.asp

same one as NR's by the look of it
Pages: 1 2