Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Force or stealth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(30 August 2013, 17:38)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]
(30 August 2013, 16:54)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]damn right, I don't know your situation-and I don't want to, but I don't need to go smashing into places around here, first of all if I did i'd probably get lynched anyway, and the sort of stuff i'm looking for wont be locked up in warehouses but more likely to be lying in a field somewhere or in an open fronted barn, my situation is more suited to the sneaky, sly, slide in quietly and remove it silently, make no noise, be a shadow type operation, maybe the odd padlock(I've got something that'll deal with those!) but that's about it!

Thats a shame mate was hoping i'd get to meet you at somepoint in the future , bikers in my experience make great mates ! but then i would say that wouldn't i

you aint wrong there bro!

I had a great aunt lived on the Wirral, long gone now tho!
(30 August 2013, 16:54)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]damn right, I don't know your situation-and I don't want to, but I don't need to go smashing into places around here, first of all if I did i'd probably get lynched anyway, and the sort of stuff i'm looking for wont be locked up in warehouses but more likely to be lying in a field somewhere or in an open fronted barn, my situation is more suited to the sneaky, sly, slide in quietly and remove it silently, make no noise, be a shadow type operation, maybe the odd padlock(I've got something that'll deal with those!) but that's about it!

The problem with stealing from a farm is that the farmers will probably still be there - they have shotguns and an uncanny ability to spot pikeys raiding their sheds.

I'm thinking that if things go tits up big style I should take a trip to Jewsons for screws, bolts, plywood, insulation, copper pipe, lead flashing, roof sheets and stuff first. I'll trade some of my surplus baked beans for whatever I need, or leave an IOU if the place is empty.
if your wanting to use lock picks/bump keys your gonna need practice before hand. for an all round general pick i would suggest a rake pick, basically like a bump key except in my opinion easier to use and you dont have to carry all the extras that bump keying requires.

to bump key a lock you firstly need a key that is cut for bumping and for the actual lock your wanting to be through. then to actually bump it you have to tap the back of the key with a hammer (you can actually buy specific hammers for this). but just tapping it isnt enough, there needs some some resistance pushing the key back so that when you tap at it the key bounces back and forward jiggling the pins at the same time your doing that you also need to be turning the key.

never used one but ive always been interested in pick guns Big Grin

the other option which is often over looked is drilling the pins out, which you can make as loud or quiet as you want it to be Smile
(30 August 2013, 19:57)Steve Wrote: [ -> ]The problem with stealing from a farm is that the farmers will probably still be there - they have shotguns and an uncanny ability to spot pikeys raiding their sheds.

I'm thinking that if things go tits up big style I should take a trip to Jewsons for screws, bolts, plywood, insulation, copper pipe, lead flashing, roof sheets and stuff first. I'll trade some of my surplus baked beans for whatever I need, or leave an IOU if the place is empty.
i'm a very long way from any Jewsons or B&Q or anything like that Steve, I do have a couple of depot type place marked and they have large gates with padlocks on them.

in any case, it will only be to top up my supplies not in stead of, like you say non food items, maybe some timber, got a place that stores coal and charcoal and other stuff not too far away, not a farm, likely to be no one there post shtf, anyway its on my map along with a few other "resources"Tongue
at the end of the day, it wont matter much if I cant get to them, it would only be as a "top up" and not desperate if I have to keep my head down instead.
Don't spend money on already made bump-keys.

You can VERY easily make your own.

Check out youtube on how they work, and then just make your own. REALLY simple to do.

Personally, I think having a set of bumps as well as picks is a good idea (providing you are well practiced at both). Personally, I used to be good with picks at uni, but last month travelled up north to see mum, and forgot my key. EDC has lock picks in it, so got them out. I was so out of practice, it was embarrassing! If you get them, practice practice practice!!!

As for force or stealth, if there's a bomb threat and you need to take shelter, and there's a padlock on a shelter, I'll do whichever will get me into that shelter fastest. If being chased, taking my time might not work too well there either. If I'm breaking into somewhere and need to be quiet, it would make sense to be stealthy.

Having the ability to do both is a huge advantage!
DS has a good point stealthy survalence before you enter a property once it's clear then lock picking isn't an issue. But if the place is occupied then picking a lock is necessary.
personally i wouldnt say its nessisary, if the place is deserted and you have no intentions of coming back then theres no need for a silent entry, but if its inhabited or you want to repeatedly return i would say hacking the lock would be the best bet.
So with the pick guns you can buy them as 'up' or 'down'. My front door lock has the key insert with the teeth facing upwards, so I assume I would be buying the 'up' version if I were to get one?
just turn the gun up or down depending on which you have and what lock your working on Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4