Survival UK Forums

Full Version: OMG food prices keep going up!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Last night we went to the chip shop. (Not something i do very often)
Anyway a large bag of chips cost £2.60 which is an increase 80 pence in the last couple of months.
Now i know potatoes went up in price last year and cooking oil has gone up a little bit, Even the gas to cook them has crept up in price.

But things are getting stupid. Chips/potatoes used to be cheap food for the masses.

For example potato prices rise and the cost of chips go up and when the potato prices drop the price of chips never go down again.
This seems to be happening across the board with food.
Were being squeezed for every last penny and its not going to get any better.
I used to think there was no point growing potatoes because they were so cheap compared to the effort digging. A couple of years back i was paying £4-£5 for a 25 kg sack and now im paying that much for 5kg bag of potatoes if i shop around.
I dont believe the hype of poor potato harvests because we didnt run out of them in the shops, I know last years crops were a wash out with all the rain,
So that just boils down to artificial inflation and greed.

Sorry if this sounds like a mixed up personal rant but things are going down hill fast.
Food is still cheap as chips (pardon the phrase)

People can still eat cheap in the UK.

WaylanderCool
prices may have gone up for the staples, but i'm still paying the same each week to top up my stores that I was last year or the year before.

I see people paying hundreds of pounds each week for their shopping, we don't pay any more than £50 per week.
tinned tuna gone up from 40p a tin to 85p
We do the same as you BP spending about the same as last year but to do that we have to shop around buying from 6-8 different shops.
Another example are egg prices.
12-18 months ago the shop across the road sold 6 eggs for £1
Now all of there eggs are at least £2 for 6. (Its owned by Tesco)
Dont get me wrong i buy my eggs from Iceland during the winter months and the chickens stop laying. They cost about £2 for 18 eggs.

I know as organised preppers we all shop around for prices but so are the general public now and bargains are getting thin on the ground.

@Barneyboy im still getting tuna flakes in brine from Aldi for 45-49 pence a tin.
My wife and I just did our monthly grocery run to the big supermarket in the big (?) city - $260.00! Last month it was $210.00! I'm glad that the US Federal Reserve Bank keeps assuring us that there is no inflation...
it was on the news and the write stuff c5 that cops were giving food stamps to shoplifters so theirs more food shoplifting going on than ever befor
(30 August 2013, 17:15)BFG Central Wrote: [ -> ]We do the same as you BP spending about the same as last year but to do that we have to shop around buying from 6-8 different shops.
Another example are egg prices.
12-18 months ago the shop across the road sold 6 eggs for £1
Now all of there eggs are at least £2 for 6. (Its owned by Tesco)
Dont get me wrong i buy my eggs from Iceland during the winter months and the chickens stop laying. They cost about £2 for 18 eggs.

I know as organised preppers we all shop around for prices but so are the general public now and bargains are getting thin on the ground.

@Barneyboy im still getting tuna flakes in brine from Aldi for 45-49 pence a tin.
I buy free range eggs in the weekly market 70p for 6, the most I ever pay is £1.
well in a hope of trying to lower my food costs ive just started growing some of my own, now if only i could grow bacon Smile
(30 August 2013, 18:02)Hex Wrote: [ -> ]well in a hope of trying to lower my food costs ive just started growing some of my own, now if only i could grow bacon Smile

Stick to poultry,
Iv just finished two pigs and they were a total nightmare and in no way cost effective.
I would never bother with pigs again.
Pages: 1 2 3