Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Taking in new members post shtf
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(3 September 2013, 23:02)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]There are currently 3 people i'm prepping for but my partner has 3 brothers and elderly parents so my potential group expanded will be approx 12 people...not really looking for anymore as i already think i'm oversubscribed Sad

You sure are. Putting stores aside for 3 whilst being aware that 12 will be consuming makes no sense. You need to plan for everyone or you are going to find that you may as well not have planned at all.

You either need to get the brothers prepping or explain to the wife how Food for three people being eaten by 12 will only last a quarter of the time you planned for. You need to increase your stores by 4 times.
that's seems fairly obvious SD, I think someone hasn't done the maths!Big Grin
BP, It is but sometimes people miss the obvious. It is worth pointing out.
I read somewhere, I don't remember where, some considerable time ago, about giving food to other people, first off you give some to one person, he goes off and tells someone else, you give him some food as well, before you know it you've been feeding all these other people and surprise, surprise your stocks are gone and now its you and your family are the ones that are starving!!
Probably not a good idea to take in anyone post SHTF. Get to know your group NOW, before things fall apart. Newbies post-SHTF are likely to be looters...
(4 September 2013, 12:16)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]
(3 September 2013, 23:02)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]There are currently 3 people i'm prepping for but my partner has 3 brothers and elderly parents so my potential group expanded will be approx 12 people...not really looking for anymore as i already think i'm oversubscribed Sad

You sure are. Putting stores aside for 3 whilst being aware that 12 will be consuming makes no sense. You need to plan for everyone or you are going to find that you may as well not have planned at all.

You either need to get the brothers prepping or explain to the wife how Food for three people being eaten by 12 will only last a quarter of the time you planned for. You need to increase your stores by 4 times.

They wont prep and she wont leave them out...family ties are strong...i've just got to do my best alone , i sort of know i'm prepping for 12 but i do my calculations on how long 3 could go for on what i put away...best and worse case scenarios.
(4 September 2013, 17:57)Jonas Wrote: [ -> ]Probably not a good idea to take in anyone post SHTF. Newbies post-SHTF are likely to be looters...

thank you JP, I've been saying that for ages.

(4 September 2013, 18:01)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]They wont prep and she wont leave them out...family ties are strong...i've just got to do my best alone , i sort of know i'm prepping for 12 but i do my calculations on how long 3 could go for on what i put away...best and worse case scenarios.

in that case the only thing you can do is increase your preps by a factor of X4!
You just have to do what you can. Perhaps when TSHTF they won't be able to turn up or you may have split up. You don't know what the future holds.
(4 September 2013, 18:01)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]They wont prep and she wont leave them out...family ties are strong...i've just got to do my best alone , i sort of know i'm prepping for 12 but i do my calculations on how long 3 could go for on what i put away...best and worse case scenarios.

I'm in a similar situation with my brother's family. They don't see a need for prepping, trust the govt, etc. realistically I know if SHTF they will be at our door within 48 hrs. I cant say no to family, so I will do the best to accommodate them. Its more mouths to feed, but on the bright side also more security. And I know my brother isn't going to slit my throat while I sleep. trust is important. family has to stick together, ultimately its all we have.
Families are not renowned for sticking together in this modern nucleated family age. It won't be all I have because I will not be limiting my outlook to my family. They know what I do now and they regard it as eccentric. They also know inside that I am a back up for them - so that they can comfortably carry on being ignorant and bathing in the tide of materialistic sheepdom. This gets my goat up (baaa) and so long ago I came to terms with the fact that if they will not lift a finger for themselves and even to the extent of taking the piss in the way of using me and my labours as a back up plan, so they don't have to lift that finger in the first place!! -- I have devised a cunning plan... They can all F**K off in any SHTF scenario. The shutters will be down there will be short shrift for them! I have told them a few times - without the swearing and graphic additions but with a straight face - that I would shoot them if they turned up here (lol - I know, tis funny int it!!), usually around the time of the after Xmas dinner drinks when they might venture to have a sideways poke of fun at my claimed excess of supplies. They hope to get a rise out of me and I sort of jokingly shoot that one back across their bows. They leave it at that thinking I am joking but not quite sure. (the wide stern eyes but slight corner smile helps) It must be a joke of course they think, as I am family and it would be my duty.
Well, they have been warned on more than one occasion - can't be fairer than that.....
Pages: 1 2 3 4