Survival UK Forums

Full Version: survival of the fittest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I grew up in Blackpool(not far from the pier) and then Huddersfield( not in town out on the moors...well it was then, probably a housing estate now) then 40 odd years on in various Plymouth suburbs....so not really a grimy inner city or such, I suppose I had the best of it, but i'd go back to those days in a flash, we didn't have: Chav's, Lumpunts, "Problem" families, Gangs, Knifings, Shootings, people getting "rat arsed" on a weekend, didn't see ANY illegal drugs until the 80's and we had the BEST MUSIC!Big GrinBig Grin

(9 September 2013, 14:08)Sunna Wrote: [ -> ]you need to calm down bp you can get things for pmt these days !!! Tongue Tongue Tongue

i'm ok Sunna, I just don't have the rosy view of modern life that you seem to have.
(9 September 2013, 14:59)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]I grew up in Blackpool(not far from the pier) and then Huddersfield( not in town out on the moors...well it was then, probably a housing estate now) then 40 odd years on in various Plymouth suburbs....so not really a grimy inner city or such, I suppose I had the best of it, but i'd go back to those days in a flash, we didn't have: Chav's, Lumpunts, "Problem" families, Gangs, Knifings, Shootings, people getting "rat arsed" on a weekend, didn't see ANY illegal drugs until the 80's and we had the BEST MUSIC!Big GrinBig Grin

(9 September 2013, 14:08)Sunna Wrote: [ -> ]you need to calm down bp you can get things for pmt these days !!! Tongue Tongue Tongue

i'm ok Sunna, I just don't have the rosy view of modern life that you seem to have.

BP arent you forgeting union street in Plymouth? i seen it go of big style down there a few times with 42 boys

The truth of it is i don't think the aboriginies are happy with the way it turned out for them , they were hunted as vermin , put into slavery , had there kids taken away by the authorities for re-integration into white society , there sacred places were desecrated , there lands stolen , there under represented in the government at every level , there passed over for work and generally shunned in there own land , i think just like there kindred spirits the Native Americans they would wish there lands had never been found by white settlers.
I have often said to people over the years that we are living in a golden age but 99% of the people just don't know it. Very rarely in History have we had a time of peace that has lasted as long as this has from the end of WW2. The advancements of science and labour saving devices - personal transportation, where even large sectors of the poorer end of society can own and use an enclosed metal carriage that can whisk them from one end of the country to the other or even on to the continent to in a matter of hours... Unbelievable! Medical abilities, life saving treatments that until the last 50 years would have been terminal for many. Communications and knowledge freely and easily available. The price of material items relatively cheap - compared to 100 or 200 years ago, when all most people had was some wooden furniture and a set of work clothes and a set of Sunday best and even that was "willed" on to the next generation. In the UK we even have a country that provides services free or subsidised to millions of people. While it has its good and bad aspects, it is something that was not available until within the last 100 years and is another facet of a nations ability to provide back to its people as a basic support system, borne out of national prosperity that took generations to build. This national two way support was not available in the hard austeric earlier times. Food is easy to acquire and cheap compared to in history or many other countries. etc, etc.
When I study the lives of common people through archaeology and historical research, it is pitiful just how little they had and the harsh conditions they lived and worked in. TV makes it look far better than it actually was for large sectors of the population. It makes you feel sad and a little taken aback when you realise just how hard and unforgiving life and the society based on it was. Conversely to this, it is amazing just how peoples spirit was not broken and how they made the best of what they had in the few ways available. There were good times and bad for them too. They were not aware of what we have now and so did not yearn for it as we would if it was suddenly withdrawn from us.
Even while we have all the crap we see going on around us and might feel the weight of it pressing inwards, just remember what we really actually have and all of it built on the straining backs of our ancestors. If the mass of people didn't constantly want more and more and whine and whinge about how hard done to they are, they might actually realise just what marvellous things they do have.
I know there are lots of bad things that happen and many problems with society, it is just that what we do actually have now is unappreciated by most. When it is gone, we or our descendants might look back with disbelief and some wonder at the "Golden years" we did have, although we didn't realise it at the time...;-)
Enjoy & harvest it while it is still on.
thats survival of the fittest, its not our fault nature made us better .
(10 September 2013, 00:24)Sunna Wrote: [ -> ]thats survival of the fittest, its not our fault nature made us better .

Technology force of arms and greedy colonialism subdued the aboriginies....not that we were better/superior...just more proficient in putting down an ancient race and culture.....the art of war...we been practicing it a lot longer and on a far grander scale than them
See, that's where "isolationism" gets you. ...)
some people fly to the moon , while others sit in the dirt eating bugs with no more than sticks and stones to show for their 40,000 years .
(10 September 2013, 11:07)Sunna Wrote: [ -> ]some people fly to the moon , while others sit in the dirt eating bugs with no more than sticks and stones to show for their 40,000 years .

that's mankinds folly greed and the need for dominion over all...will be our downfall.(i'm not some lily livered liberal by the way)
(10 September 2013, 11:07)Sunna Wrote: [ -> ]some people fly to the moon , while others sit in the dirt eating bugs with no more than sticks and stones to show for their 40,000 years .

And after all of that "progress" we post on a forum about how to hunt with sticks and whether we can eat bugs......
There's one thing that most people seem to miss and that's mankind's (and ladykind's Big Grin) eternal pursuit of happiness and contentment. Ok, the native Americans and Aussies were sat in the "dirt eating bugs" but I know their life was a darn site more harmonious, balanced and less destructive compared to the "superior" white man's!

Bet they were happier too.
Pages: 1 2 3 4