Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Devon and Cornwall will be inundated with refugees? Ifs, maybes, and conjecture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
NR, perhaps you would like to read the following fact sheet and then re-evaluate the scaremongering and misinformation that you are spreading:

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collec...bombs.html

Erm its 100% right as is everything I wrote if you bother to check.

The two main points are being a small explosive of conventional material being used to scatter radio active material.
If the material is the dangerous Gamma sourced material there is a much greater threat of harm, if its Alpha and you inhale it you can die , that is fact. There is NO misinformation in my posts.

" Immediate health effects from exposure to the low radiation levels expected from an RDD would likely be minimal. The effects of radiation exposure would be determined by:

•the amount of radiation absorbed by the body; ( NR 0 to 450 survivable, 450 plus 50% lethal)
•the type of radiation (gamma, beta, or alpha); ( NR Gamma pases through tissue, Alpha has to be inhaled)
•the distance from the radiation to an individual; ( NR correct and with dirty bombs the risk is from INHALING the particles)
•the means of exposure-external or internal (absorbed by the skin, inhaled, or ingested); and the length of time exposed.( NR as I said)
The health effects of radiation tend to be directly proportional to radiation dose. In other words, the higher the radiation dose, the higher the risk of injury. (YUP its called the LD ratio)

Your link confirms my posts.

I don't care what you think about Ebola, I want you to point out EXACTLY what misinformation you said I posted.
sounds like if this happened(big if) everyone would be dead or dying, NOT bugging out!!
A couple of quotes from the Fact Sheet, Dirty Bombs are far more of a 'disrupting' measure than one which will harm and mame:

It is extremely unlikely that anyone who survives the explosion will become sick from radiation. In addition, your ability to have children will not be affected.

The radioactive particles that are scattered as a result of the explosion cause the "dirty" part. The explosives in such a bomb would still be more dangerous than the radioactive material.

The effects of an RDD can vary depending on what type of radioactive material is used and how much material is scattered. It is very difficult to design an RDD that would deliver radiation doses high enough to cause immediate health effects or fatalities in a large number of people. For the most part, an RDD would most likely be used to:

•contaminate facilities or places where people live and work, disrupting lives and livelihoods,
•cause anxiety in those who think they are being, or have been, exposed to radiation.
A couple of quotes from the Fact Sheet, Dirty Bombs are far more of a 'disrupting' measure than one which will harm and mame:

(NR) exactly as I said it is the economic cost that has to be considered up to £30,000 per hundred yards to decontaminate the area, fear prevents the lands use thus needing it to be cleaned or closed off for hundreds of years.

It is extremely unlikely that anyone who survives the explosion will become sick from radiation. In addition, your ability to have children will not be affected.

(NR) Yes again as I pointed out the explosive is only to distribute the material as far as possible helped with the wind where possible

The radioactive particles that are scattered as a result of the explosion cause the "dirty" part. The explosives in such a bomb would still be more dangerous than the radioactive material.

(NR) Unless as both I and your link point out you INHALE the particles, The bomb will only hurt you if it goes off on the ground next to you, as I pointed out from the start most theory for such devices say the bomb will be used at elevation and on a windy day to maximise the threat.

The effects of an RDD can vary depending on what type of radioactive material is used and how much material is scattered. It is very difficult to design an RDD that would deliver radiation doses high enough to cause immediate health effects or fatalities in a large number of people. For the most part, an RDD would most likely be used to:

(NR) Again as I pointed out most clearly it can be only a few grams of alpha emitting particles and it can cause as much disruption as something bigger and more radioactive.

•contaminate facilities or places where people live and work, disrupting lives and livelihoods,
•cause anxiety in those who think they are being, or have been, exposed to radiation.

(NR) which is again what I said its a terror weapon that uses fear to cause an area to be evacuated or expensively decontaminated .

I see nothing in your post or in the article that even remotely suggests I have disseminated scaremongering disinformation.

What I have read today is your assumptions mainly wrong about Nukes wiping out all life, terrs only planting one bomb etc

Don't bother to apologise.
In 'my opinion' you were scaremongering about the severity and impact of a dirty bomb, presumably as part of your justification for some kind of explanation as to why the whole of the South East will be evacuating.......

Where have I said: "Nukes wiping out all life, terrs only planting one bomb etc"
What T F are you talking about DEV, you asked me to provide off the top of my head some instances that MAY cause max evacuation from major urban areas, NOTHING more, no scare mongering just hypothetical situations.

A dirty bomb is a concern, a few dozen dirty bombs is a crisis, all hypothetical risks NOT SCAREMONGERING and it was only one part of the response that you asked when you stated that you could not forsee an entire metropolis being evacuated.

Your opinion is noted and like the amount of factual material you posted is disregarded. Believe what you will.

Oops sorry BP missed your post whilst chatting with LS and trying to work with Dev.

You said
"then why haven't they done it already??? if what you say is true what are they waiting for? because they haven't got the material that's why. non starter, end of. "

It is not a non starter mon ami, Chechen muslim terrorists made and deployed at least TWO Dirty bombs in Russia but the detonators were defective, I think its actually mentioned in Wikipedia on the section of Dirty Bombs, and also I think it was a pissed off teenager made one in the US ( Jonas, Monty, Charles???? help please) out of all things dozens of radioactive elements ripped out of smoke detectors IIRC.

I think an Israeli or Israeli arab chap gone nabbed doing something similar.

I'm totally guessing but I think ( possibly) that maybe if you collect ENOUGH elements out of smoke detectors you can collect enough low level radio active material to make it as Devon says a dirty economic damaging device , a weapon designed to cause disruption and major expense in cleaning it up.

I guess also that perhaps they have not been used over here so far because our terrorists want to maim and kill people not bugger up our economy??????, but that IS just a guess.
Yes and you still haven't given any examples of an event that "could" cause max evacuation (circa 20M) of London and the South East.

You simply seem hell bent on promoting doom and gloom for the SW and are trying to make up scenarios to fit your arguments, you only have to look at the footer in your messages to see your attitude coming through:

"Yes move to the South West it is only 90 minutes from London and Brum that's why 9 million Londoners and 5 million Brummies have the same idea. There is nothing of interest for you in the north or Scotland"
"the south west is only 90 minutes from London"...depends on which part of the south west you mean, Plymouth is 240 miles from London so I'd guess you'd have to be AVERAGING 100 MPH.... not only is that illegal but i don't think anyone would be doing that in a mass evacuation, they'd be crawling at lower gear speeds due to the amount of traffic, many accidents/rear shunts/overheating engines and general hysteria and possible violence. did you see some of the reports of the evacuation over Katrina? the Americans have 6 lane highways and they still ended up as a giant car park, how do you think our pathetic road system would stand up? it wouldn't.

I don't think there are many(read none) of our annual influx of tourists who make it from London to Devon and Cornwall in 90 minutes, hell most of em take that long just to get out of London.Tongue
Devonian Online

RE: Devon and Cornwall will be inundated with refugees? Ifs, maybes, and conjecture
Yes and you still haven't given any examples of an event that "could" cause max evacuation (circa 20M) of London and the South East.

You simply seem hell bent on promoting doom and gloom for the SW and are trying to make up scenarios to fit your arguments, you only have to look at the footer in your messages to see your attitude coming through:

"Yes move to the South West it is only 90 minutes from London and Brum that's why 9 million Londoners and 5 million Brummies have the same idea. There is nothing of interest for you in the north or Scotland"
--------------------------------------------

Oh god are you thick?? seriously do you have some disability I'm not aware of that prevents you from reading threads in full and interpreting ALL the comments in the way they are meant???

An invasion of Aliens
A Zombie outbreak
Dinosaurs taking over the country
The government could order an evacuation
A nuclear accident or small scale attack by Russia
The EU trying to use force to keep us in the EU
Climate change
Asteroid impact
AGAIN Economic collapse (how many times)
Tsunami caused by the volcano on Gran Canaria letting go

Take your pick, time after time in the thread I have pointed out it is NOT only the fucking south west that will be affected, but that goes over your head
I have equally pointed out the risks to the other English regions from evacs from other cities as well but THAT has gone over your head as well.
AND most importantly you are so stupid you cannot see the TITLEOF THE THREAD IS
"" RE: Devon and Cornwall will be inundated with refugees? Ifs, maybes, and conjecture """

and THAT is why in a thread ABOUT the SOUTH WEST we have talked about the SOUTH WEST, OR should we start a header about the SSOUTH WEST and talk about the Lake District!!!

As for the footer if you cannot see a piss take you really need to get a life, its totally me trying to make light by saying theres nothing of worth up here please go and move in with Big Paul, but I already realise most of what I have wrote has also gone over your head.
if memory serves me right(and it does) it was NR who said that the military call motorways and major A roads "killing zones" for obvious reasons.

Devonian dosent need to move in with me NR, he only lives 20 miles up the road!!Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17