Survival UK Forums

Full Version: No Dig Potatos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/03/28/no-...Newsletter

video shows how to grow potatoes directly on top of lawn using the no-dig method.
a tyre tower is a simple no dig way of growing spuds.
Yes BP I do loads this way.
(1 April 2014, 17:21)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]Yes BP I do loads this way.

so do I, I have been using this method for 15 years now.
Yeah, I've seen the tyre towers in action. I had some tyres ready to go, then my missus asked me a question that I'd not given any thought to before...

Is there any "contamination" (probably not the correct word here, but it'll do for now) from the tyres into the potatoes? Only they're in very close proximity to them.
Would the tyres leach anything into the soil?
nope, never had a problem doing it this way, in fact the added bonus using tyres is the rubber keeps the soil warm for longer aiding the growing process.
Wunderbar.

Cheers BP.
I need new shoes on the truck, so I'll make good use of them instead of letting the garage have them away.
yes, that's recycling in action. I stack the tyres flat 3 high no more, plant them in the bottom one and cover with soil, when the shoots pop up, cover again and keep doing that until they reach the top of the stack, then stop.
im thinking about a rased no dig bed for spuds, useing scrap wood and waterproofed with old car oil.
would the oil spoil the spuds[i would paint it and leave to dry out first]...?
as long as the oil isn't in direct contact with the spuds or in the soil I cant see a problem.
Pages: 1 2