Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Composting Human Waste
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just a quick question, do you plan on composting human waste post SHTF?

If so, how do you plan on going about it?
separate compost bin from "normal" compost, leave it longer to decompose.
No I won't be composting it, in my case it'll be disposed of the same way as the dog waste.
no garden Devonian? if you have its a waste of a resource just dumping it, dumping it will cause environmental problems of its own.

namely: gastroenteritis, cholera,hepatitis, typhoid and e-coli.
I have a soakaway system, it has been inspected and I have a certificate saying that it's acceptable. As far as I know it has never been and will never need to be emptied. It's at least 100 years old, so there must be quite a lot of something in there by now. We don't use anything that can't rot down and only use "bio-friendly" cleaners, so as not to kill the soakaway and poison our land.

PS/ The traditional way to start a septic tank was to throw a dead fox in it, I just happen to have one I prepared yesterday if anyone wants it ;-)
No and Yes...

If we have sufficient water, we have a multi-cavity cesspit that has the same mystic properties as the one Steve describes, so in this case no composting necessary.

If water becomes short, or we have a big freeze, we still have the original dry toilet. We will compost along the lines described in the humanure book if this option is used. We do not have a spare compost bin in place for human waste, but have all the materials on site to make one if the need arises
Already occasionally use a human manure system won't be much trouble to convert the toilets in the house.
I'm planning on setting up a composting loo at the allotment at some point this year. Practice for if we ever need it in the future & handy for the kids too Smile
http://weblife.org/humanure/pdf/humanure...dition.pdf

Everything you ever want to know about composting poo.Blush

Could have sworn this was posted before.Smile
I'm in the process of building a "tree bog" in the woodland right now. Works on the same principle as a composting toilet (i.e. aerobic digestion), only the "stuff" drops onto the ground rather than into a box. Provided there are plenty of trees about, the composting takes place quite quickly (and without odour). Apparently they are a little more tolerant of wee than the normal composting loos.
Pages: 1 2