Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Composting Human Waste
19 May 2014, 14:48,
Composting Human Waste
Just a quick question, do you plan on composting human waste post SHTF?

If so, how do you plan on going about it?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
19 May 2014, 15:07,
RE: Composting Human Waste
separate compost bin from "normal" compost, leave it longer to decompose.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 May 2014, 15:32,
No I won't be composting it, in my case it'll be disposed of the same way as the dog waste.
19 May 2014, 15:37, (This post was last modified: 19 May 2014, 15:44 by bigpaul.)
no garden Devonian? if you have its a waste of a resource just dumping it, dumping it will cause environmental problems of its own.

namely: gastroenteritis, cholera,hepatitis, typhoid and e-coli.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 May 2014, 23:45, (This post was last modified: 19 May 2014, 23:47 by Steve.)
I have a soakaway system, it has been inspected and I have a certificate saying that it's acceptable. As far as I know it has never been and will never need to be emptied. It's at least 100 years old, so there must be quite a lot of something in there by now. We don't use anything that can't rot down and only use "bio-friendly" cleaners, so as not to kill the soakaway and poison our land.

PS/ The traditional way to start a septic tank was to throw a dead fox in it, I just happen to have one I prepared yesterday if anyone wants it ;-)
20 May 2014, 00:18,
No and Yes...

If we have sufficient water, we have a multi-cavity cesspit that has the same mystic properties as the one Steve describes, so in this case no composting necessary.

If water becomes short, or we have a big freeze, we still have the original dry toilet. We will compost along the lines described in the humanure book if this option is used. We do not have a spare compost bin in place for human waste, but have all the materials on site to make one if the need arises
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

20 May 2014, 15:48,
Already occasionally use a human manure system won't be much trouble to convert the toilets in the house.
20 May 2014, 17:32,
I'm planning on setting up a composting loo at the allotment at some point this year. Practice for if we ever need it in the future & handy for the kids too Smile
20 May 2014, 22:31,
http://weblife.org/humanure/pdf/humanure...dition.pdf

Everything you ever want to know about composting poo.Blush

Could have sworn this was posted before.Smile

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
20 May 2014, 23:05,
I'm in the process of building a "tree bog" in the woodland right now. Works on the same principle as a composting toilet (i.e. aerobic digestion), only the "stuff" drops onto the ground rather than into a box. Provided there are plenty of trees about, the composting takes place quite quickly (and without odour). Apparently they are a little more tolerant of wee than the normal composting loos.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.