Survival UK Forums

Full Version: How Much Salt do you have?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Following Mary's great thread and the informative responses I thought I'd just ask, how much Salt do you keep in your preps?

I've just checked mine and I've currently got 12kg, which I'm now thinking is not nearly enough!

Bulk bags in the UK seem to be expensive and the cheapest I've found is good old Tesco's where you can pick up a kilo for 25p

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/d...=255737573

So an extra 20kg in my preps is only going to cost £5.00, or 40 kg for £10! Seems silly not to given it will never go off...

I'll probably spend more than that on a couple of decent containers to store it in the garage.

So how much salt do you keep?
I've about 10kgs
only 2kg from Tesco as well.
25kg of salt.

Will bump this up though.
35 kg ,as long as its kept dry it will last for ever ,will be getting more . you can never have too much salt
(17 February 2015, 15:55)Barneyboy Wrote: [ -> ]as long as its kept dry it will last for ever ,will be getting more . you can never have too much salt

Agreed, but technically I guess even if your salt gets damp, you can still dry it out and use it.

But definitely best to keep dry in the first place.

My plan will be to fill up a few plastic boxes (the type with lids), but leaving the salt in the original sealed packaging, and then sealing the lid in place with some duct tape and storing the boxes in the garage.
storage is very important.....mine is in the little cubby hole behind the waste bins...in original packaging and double bagged....didn't want it anywhere where its potentially corrosive properties may be an issue....I have a woefull 10kg....as its a cheap prep I'm going to address this straight away.
We live by the sea so..well, you work it out.:-)
(17 February 2015, 19:50)Tarrel Wrote: [ -> ]We live by the sea so..well, you work it out.:-)

So do I, I'm only a 5 minute walk from the sea, but the amount of time and effort it would take to collect, boil and dry out say 10kg of salt would no way be worth the effort when compared with spending £5 now.....

You get about 35g of salt from 1 litre of sea water, so you need about 300 litres of sea water to produce 10kg of salt, so that would be quite labour intensive and take days maybe weeks to produce by the times its collected/carried back to your property, boiled, processed etc.

I'd prefer spending that time hunting, trapping, foraging, fishing, growing etc.

But there could still be a time when supplies have been exhausted and we would need to make our own salt, but I'd personally prefer to put that off for as long as possible.
I've got 2kg of bagged table salt aswell. Not really edible (I don't think) but I've got 25kg of rocksalt in a yellow plastic bin in my front garden. Saves the table salt for eating.
Pages: 1 2