Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Explosion, what do you do next?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Let's play a simple game.

There's an explosion in a shopping mall, supermarket, shopping area and you're there when this explosion goes up. You're not injured by the explosion, but there is dust everywhere.

What do you do next?

Please note, if you do not frequent malls, supermarkets, or any kind of shop, then just pop notes of "IF I WAS…." as opposed to any useless "Well I never go to supermarkets, etc….." I'm more interested in learning about how you would react as a prepper, and less interested in your shopping habits.

Thanks in advance.

BOOM!!!

Now what?
The prepper part of me says get up, look for an exit and get away from the general area asap, however another part says stay and try to help out wherever possible.

I guess the reaction comes down to what caused the explosion? If it was say a gas explosion in a restaurant in the mall, then presumably the main structure wouldn't be damaged and wouldn't be that much further risk. If its a bomb (the Oklahoma bombing has been preying on my mind a lot lately) or a bombing plus shooting attack, then obviously would be cautiously looking for further threats and a quick and safe way out.
get out of the area as fast as possible. there is only one you.
Get out and away from the area...i would assume it an act of terror ...even if is was not....and be aware of a secondary device, simple as that.
Over here the blast is the initial step of a two or three step process.

Blast number one wounds and kills as many as possible.

Blast two kills the first responders that come to aid the victims.

We have also had blast one used to flush targets outside into the open for snipers, or blast two, to take the escapees out.

What would I do?

Find the nearest exit and go to it, then wait for some fool to come charging along and walk out first, then use them for cover, get to my vehicle and get gone!
Grab the kids and exit the area via the quickest route. Which is usually not the main entrances which will be blocked by people fighting their way out.
Out! Out! Out! and as quickly as possible. If the exits were blocked then try and hide in a shop or go through one out of the back. Sorry to say I would not stop to help those injured, even though I would like to think of myself as a helpful person.
First thing ? Grab something to use as a filter so I don't fill my lungs with crap.

Then, assuming I'm not with family, head for the least obvious exit in case of a follow up bomb.
Can I just put a thought into everyone's heads, secondary bombs are usually put towards exit points, so really you'd possibly be running into a secondary device's explosion zone.

Also, if it's a dirty bomb, or chemical bomb, you'll want to get it off your skin. That dust that's everywhere could be full of purposeful contaminants.

I am a fan of Steve's answer, and half of Mary's answer. But with the caveat that I'd try and wash off any of the dust, whether via a fountain, water machine, or anything like that. For an exit, I'd try and use a shop's fire exit. The alarms will already be going off.

Grab a tshirt off the shelf and use the inside as a dust mask. Wash off any crap from your clothing. If you're wearing a second top, e.g. tshirt under your jumper, cut off the outer layer (jumper) and do not lift it over your head. The last thing you want is more contaminants around your head. Then through the back of a shop and to the fire exit. If there is a secondary bomb, it'll be closer to the main exits, to cause more damage.

If it's not a dirty bomb, the best place would be back in the last explosion site. No chance another bomb will go off there. So you're better off in a 'tested' area. Only issue would be if it was a dirty or chemical bomb. Also, checking for structural damage would be paramount to survival.

Interesting that so many people would RUN towards an exit. What if you get there and there's another bomb or gunmen? Would your fitness allow you to run away? What about the risk of a human stampede to the same exit?

Stay calm, assess the situation, e.g. look out for bins in the area that could be holding secondary devices, check structural issues, etc. Do not do as everyone else does and run with the headless chickens.
S13 has a lot of angles covered and a lot of it makes very good sense in theory but chances are unless you're highly trained and used to explosion's and scenes of exteme trauma/carnage you are just going to do the programmed human response and run away....a few will stay and help some will be shocked/traumatized/rooted to the spot but in the main people will run.
Pages: 1 2 3