Survival UK Forums

Full Version: At Last!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yep, I have at last managed to persuade the OH to invest in a nice generator! It's not the model I wanted - a nice diesel thingy - but it's a compact little petrol one that has the capacity to run my freezers. After having the talk with OH - (not THAT talk), the one where I indicate that I should not be pleased if a power cut meant I lost the contents of my freezers - he decided it was safer to agree and get a genny.

Very pleased now!
Well done Mary .....you will need it in the coming months and the fuel to run it ! ....check out ...wood gas on Ytube as a backup fuel !
Well, SS, all this talk about power outages is making me a bit twitchy!
the govt say there wont be power cuts this winter which makes me more convinced that there WILL be power cuts.
Well done Mary. Your OH sounds like me.... I also had to be chivvied into purchase of a generator by my wife. ;-)

She'd taken notice when I pointed out that the central heating system would stop in event of a long term power cut.

We went for a key-start non-inverter model. This lets OH get it started if I'm away. Output from the Gen plugs into a wall mounted inverter system, which in turn to feed into the house.
with the undersea cable from France to Kent out of action until March and Hinckley Point C not expected to be ready for another 5 years I cannot see how we can have enough electric for our ever expanding population.
I may be wrong but it wouldnt be silly to prepare for outages this winter "just in case", if it dosent happen then all we will be is a little premature but better that than freezing to death.