Survival UK Forums
The Slow Descent - When To Bug Out? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Scenarios (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: The Slow Descent - When To Bug Out? (/showthread.php?tid=2413)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: The Slow Descent - When To Bug Out? - bigpaul - 22 August 2012

there's rural and rural, i am rural but not exactly in the middle of nowhere, i have access to a shop, post office, filling station, bakery and farm shop...all within 1 mile.

RE: The Slow Descent - When To Bug Out? - NorthernRaider - 22 August 2012

I'm semi rural we have a coop, offlicence and small animal feed store plus a garage (no fuel) and a sub post office, we are 4 miles off the motorway but far enough to be ignored by most people.

RE: The Slow Descent - When To Bug Out? - bigpaul - 22 August 2012

we're 30 miles from a motorway, 2 A roads within a mile, some traffic at peak times but not a route the refugee's will use WTSHTF.

RE: The Slow Descent - When To Bug Out? - Skvez - 22 August 2012

I'm agreeing with Cryingfreeman here

Bugging out can mean two things.
1] is grabbing a bag and running into the woods (if there are any near you). It's a last ditch effort to escape an imminent threat to you. Most people (Ray Means excluded) will be in trouble 72 hours after they bug out with just what they can carry.
Most UK preppers strongly suggest you don't bug-out in this manner unless the mob is advancing on your home.

2] Heading for a pre-arranged fixed location where you will be legally permitted to go (if rule of law still holds) for example Grandma's cottage in the peek district. When to Bugout to this sort of location is less clear but you can always bug-out and then (if things settle down) bug back in again.
Many preppers suggest you should consider permanently re-locating to this sort pof bug out which brings me to …

Strategic re-location is moving your permanent residence to somewhere far away from probable trouble. It is a goal that all of us should be working towards. Unfortunately given the population density of the UK there aren't very many locations that are fully suitable and even fewer that still have employment opportunities.

We can try and migrate in the desired direction:
Urban house is better than urban towerblock
Suburban house is better than urban house
Semi-rural is better than urban
Rural is better than semi-rural
And so on.

RE: The Slow Descent - When To Bug Out? - Cestrian - 23 August 2012

im in the middle of a housing estate Sad but when i do plan to "bugout" im going on a "hike" as it were, civi clothing, the only thing that will stand out will be my 120l plce bergen, there are a few routes ive planned on taking but when the day comes those plans may change

RE: The Slow Descent - When To Bug Out? - bigpaul - 23 August 2012

i'm right at the BACK of a smallish housing estate(200 houses) spread out over a couple of roads and 8 closes, right on the edge of the parish about 1 mile from the town square, pop 1300-about 500 in the town, another 500 on this estate and the rest on farms and hamlets spread around the parish. i can walk out of my door go past a couple of houses about 30 seconds and i am walking past fields of sheep(the animal kind that isTongue) . if i cant DRIVE out that is the way i will Bug Out-by bicycle.

RE: The Slow Descent - When To Bug Out? - Hrusai - 23 August 2012

wow i thought you were more rural than i was BP! turns out im more rural ^^ small village, neaer a few other small villages, 10-15 miles from any towns Big Grin

(23 August 2012, 17:25)Hrusai Wrote: wow i thought you were more rural than i was BP! turns out im more rural ^^ small village, neaer a few other small villages, 10-15 miles from any towns Big Grin
OK so i'm on the edge of a market TOWN but the population is that of most villages in this area, nearest towns (where we do our shopping) are 10 and 13 miles away(pop5,000) nearest LARGE(10-20,000) populations are 25 miles in any direction. we have just got back from another town where we buy chickens and joints from a farmer in the weekly market...50 mile round trip!

we moved here from Glastonbury-population 8,800 having moved to Glastonbury from Plymouth-pop 250,000! this was the best place we could find to move to, we dont own our own house its H.A., we did a swap with someone to move here. its a very small modern semi detached house with off road parking. if i had my way( and the money) i would buy my own house out in the middle of no where- i know several houses that fit the bill, but until we win the lottery we are stuck here.Angry

RE: The Slow Descent - When To Bug Out? - Hrusai - 23 August 2012

fair enough mate, still a damn site better than most people! sounds like a nice place to live Big Grin

whoa :O glastonbury and plymouth are alot worse!

we dont own our house neither, now me dads moved out the only way we can keep it is if i pay half the rent o.O hopefully can stay xD

still sounds like you got a nice setup, and if i had the money i reckon i'd buy meself a house in the middle of nowhere Big Grin

(23 August 2012, 18:07)Hrusai Wrote: fair enough mate, still a damn site better than most people! sounds like a nice place to live Big Grin

whoa :O glastonbury and plymouth are alot worse!

we dont own our house neither, now me dads moved out the only way we can keep it is if i pay half the rent o.O hopefully can stay xD

still sounds like you got a nice setup, and if i had the money i reckon i'd buy meself a house in the middle of nowhere Big Grin
yep, its not bad, neighbours are fairly friendly, its quiet, virtually no crime to speak off, weekly markets, only trouble is if you want to do some serious shopping you have to put in the mileage and the time, Barnstaple(where my family comes from) is a 50 mile round trip and takes most of the day, so we get most stuff online and get it delivered by the local postie. i dont like people/sheeple much so like i say if i had the money i would move further inland where there are some nice remote(and i do mean remote!) cottages with a bit of land.