Survival UK Forums
What have done towards your prep? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: What have done towards your prep? (/showthread.php?tid=1010)

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Easy rider - 27 September 2020

Skean you are quite right we have become soft ,accepting weak and unable in the main to combat many threats to us in society today.our leaders have civilised us for want of a better word leading us to the slaughter of those who come to prey upon easy pickings who have no worry in using weapons knives guns or respect for women children .
Unfortunately police law no longer protects us if in fact it ever did. Their are risks as mentioned befriending these rebels but true again benefits.finding the right ones won't be easy if at all.

Then again whilst we may consider some of our friends safe reliable useful in tshtf they too may surprise you, neighbours may be our biggest threat even though we will need in certain situ their combined numbers for effort and security of our immediate area so is contradictory possibly.
Unfortunately we won't know what now when until it happens.if like to think I can trust several but On far lesser things than our survival trust has been broken.differences of opinion ,small fall outs under stressful situations will soon show our vulnerabilities well.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Skean Dhude - 27 September 2020

(26 September 2020, 19:04)Pete Grey Wrote: Be careful what you wish for............when TSHTF these are the ones who knowing about you, will kill you, and your family, and take everything you have and have working for over the years.

Agree. Just getting in on the periphery. Not going to do anything for them, won't get involved and they won't know about my preps. It's not like they are going to be coming to our barbecues.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 27 September 2020

The beast conked out yesterday......traced it back to the fuel , stripped the carb ....full of crap ....cleaned everything and blew out the fuel line and the tank ,then refitted it all this morning.....it’s purring like a kitten now ! After replacing the none existent filter ! .....logging ,splitting and stacking all day solid.......raised some spuds for dinner ( chicken ) just about to pile in ! .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Tartar Horde - 28 September 2020

(27 September 2020, 12:03)Skean Dhude Wrote:
(26 September 2020, 19:04)Pete Grey Wrote: Be careful what you wish for............when TSHTF these are the ones who knowing about you, will kill you, and your family, and take everything you have and have working for over the years.

Agree. Just getting in on the periphery. Not going to do anything for them, won't get involved and they won't know about my preps. It's not like they are going to be coming to our barbecues.

Seems to me if you want to live free you automatically become a criminal these days. Most of the people I know in the sticks would be classed as criminals just for brewing, growing and Fishing/hunting, freedom has become illegal.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Tartar Horde - 28 September 2020

(25 September 2020, 13:02)Straight Shooter Wrote: The still is finished and ready to rock......but first I will read up and do some more research .....before I start bugging TH .......been felling more trees that present some danger and getting it back with the beast so that I can log up and split ......there’s loads of it ! And I am not finished even half of it ! ........it’s filling all my time, all the other jobs will have to take a back seat for another two weeks .

I've just knocked out another gallon, just going to cut it down with spring Water to 40ABV. Making a batch of Rhubarb Gin.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 30 September 2020

The lpg guy finally turned up yesterday afternoon so we are sorted till next year, rain stopped play but managed to split a pile of logs ( under cover ) running out of room in both drying sheds , I will have to stack outside from next week ( and there is piles of it to go yet ) .......onwards !

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 3 October 2020

Making some lemon,honey and ginger immune boosting concentrate tonight ....got everything ! Enough for four Jars , sterilising them right now , going to batch up some leek and potato soup tomorrow ( fresh out of the garden ) then into the freezer ....there’s just enough room ! ....having a quiet weekend ......after the firewood contract ....it will be weeks before I get that finished ! I keep clearing ( mostly ash , and oak ) I have now STOPPED felling ! Thing is if I don’t get it .....others will ........firewood is selling £120.00 for a ton builders bag .......ash is what all these chancers want ! And they will steal it in a heartbeat if left unattended .......even local authorities are looking into selling all felled timber for firewood ( I was told yesterday ) ......there has been many wood burners installed about the locality in the past eighteen months .....they are on show everywhere ! .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Pete Grey - 3 October 2020

Over the last couple of weeks we’ve been quite busy in the garden and now it’s at the stage where it’s just a matter of keeping it tidy, some trees have been reduced so as to reduce the possibility of wind fall over the winter, fences all checked (on going). We’ve planted another three firethorns where one section of fence needs a little reinforcement.

The gutters and downspouts have been cleaned out, the waterbutts emptied and power washed, these form our emergency water reserve. Storm Alex has almost refilled them. Our potable water is kept in jerrycans, these will be refilled with fresh water over the next couple of days.

We’re expecting one last solid fuel delivery on Monday, coal shed will be rammed, i’ve chopped three bags of kindling. We also keep spare petrol and diesel in there, not ideal but it’s further from the house for safety.

The garden shed is pretty full, tools, machinery, cart, second freezer, i’ve had to have a clear out and there’s half a pallet of potting compost and a pile of pots under a tarp outside. For overwintering OH’s flower tubs we’re keeping the greenhouse floor clear, at the moment staging is clear.

It’s difficult to get ahead with some jobs, some will need to be repeated before winter, but at least i’ve made a start.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Lightspeed - 8 October 2020

Wood store reorganised last weekend, so there's room once again for converting and chopping. I also ran power and light so that I can operate machinery there without resorting to extension leads.

Electrical switchgear, UPS, pure sine Inverter, plugs and cable conduit for the new back-up generator. Hope to complete this next weekend.

Sadly one of our deep cycle batteries is now toast, and as it was connected in a bank the other three are severely depleted in capacity. An expensive lesson learned here. Must keep a more careful and more regular eye on the state of charge. 2 x 120AH replacements ordered as needed as a minimum for UPS backup. I'll order a couple more as soon as funds permit.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 8 October 2020

LS just reminded me .....when I converted the lower garage ( drum room ) into a flat for my grandson , a ran some armoured cable to the lower sheds (four) then fitted new led (1500 mm ) strip lights along with new metal 13 amp double points and all trunked in pvc .....I can now work ,and split wood on the darkest winter nights ( this set up is off mains only for now ) .

I have finished (today) my NHS job (providing cover for my little brother) .......Freedom at last ! SS is back on the case ! I spect the girls will be desperately sobbing tomorrow....poor darlings ! I did not tell them of my leaving ...I wanted to avoid the tears and leg crabbing begging me to stay and the sure threats of suicide .....seven weeks was enough .....I mean there’s only enough ass pinching a guy can take ! I am not some sort of toy to be played with at every opportunity for goodness sakes.....how wude .

So jobs to get done this weekend , clear gutters and down pipes , fire up all generators and check oil levels , dig over three raised beds , and a good clean up , there will be more clean ups when the leaves fall, just the way it is every year .......I did give one generator away a few months back to repay favours (many) to one of my mates ,so I will replace it with another Honda ....not cheap but good kit .

I have a mountain of firewood to process ....it will take me quite some time to get it done , besides which the mountain is slap bang in the middle of the solar shed I am going to build ......ran out of room ! ..........charge ! .