Survival UK Forums
What have done towards your prep? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: What have done towards your prep? (/showthread.php?tid=1010)

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 25 February 2021

where does that coal come from LS?
not British coal surely, I thought we didnt have any pits left.
if its imported its probably sweated labour.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Pete Grey - 25 February 2021

(20 February 2021, 17:48)Straight Shooter Wrote: The solar set up , three 100 watt polycrystalline photovoltaic solar panels ( Eco-Worthy ) ......three deep cell 115 Ah ccs 700 a battery’s ( super batt ) ......one charge controller cmg 20 amp 12 volt auto switch lcd overload protection temperature compensation ......one inverter 1500 watt ...surge rate 3000 watt two mains 220 volt ,two cigar 12 volt outlets , four usb outlets , two 12 volt jack outlets ........12. Volt ....bits .....led strip lights (8), circulation pumps (2) fans (2) electric kettle (1) Emerson heater (1) air bubblers (2) adapted 12 volt battery drill ......Plus various trip fuses and fittings (loads) spare inverter (1) .

SS you seem to have covered every need, three 100 panels should give a good charge even during short winter days. In summer will you use the emersion heater and excess power for heating water for laundry ?.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 25 February 2021

Yes I think it will do for us Pete .....I may well add to that , but I have three small backup systems just in case of emergency bug outs ....enough for coms and light , charging , it’s All real basic minimum systems you can get by on and simple to setup ......the one setup was recommended by Lightspeed a bit back ( £25.00 odd ) for the flexi panel , charge controller, and selection off cables all ready to rock ! Just a battery required to store the power , I am very impressed with the quality you even get plastic suckers for the windscreen you have to wait a few weeks for delivery but Hey !

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Lightspeed - 26 February 2021

(25 February 2021, 20:47)Straight Shooter Wrote: Yes I think it will do for us Pete .....I may well add to that , but I have three small backup systems just in case of emergency bug outs ....enough for coms and light , charging , it’s All real basic minimum systems you can get by on and simple to setup ......the one setup was recommended by Lightspeed a bit back ( £25.00 odd ) for the flexi panel , charge controller, and selection off cables all ready to rock ! Just a battery required to store the power , I am very impressed with the quality you even get plastic suckers for the windscreen you have to wait a few weeks for delivery but Hey !

Re those flexi panels: Mine took a while to arrive too. It works, but it sure ain't no 100w panel! Maybe 10 or 13w I think. We'll see how it functions this year and may then buy more.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Lightspeed - 26 February 2021

(25 February 2021, 13:51)bigpaul Wrote: where does that coal come from LS?
not British coal surely, I thought we didnt have any pits left.
if its imported its probably sweated labour.

Scottish and Colombian coal is still readily available BP. I don't know where the Scottish mines are.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 26 February 2021

Even if your analysis is true LS ( and you are more competent then I am for sure ) it’s still a good buy considering the full package of what you get for the money ! We will see how it pans out mate.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 4 March 2021

Several items arrived this week , three 1 litres of liquid seaweed concentrate , 2 litres pack of canna coco hydroponics nutrient fertiliser , another circulation pump and tomorrow picking up 10 bags of compost from the local allotments ....my brother has a plot there ....also I’ll have a look of what’s on offer.

Threw some fish blood n bone around the fruit trees / bushes to give them a good start , sowed some carrots in a tub “ sugar snacks “ for early try out and some french breakfast radish and sowed more leeks in the heated poly tunnel .

Going to turn over some new ground for potatoes , peas and beans this coming week if the weather allows and get on with the hydroponics setup and fire it up .....I am expecting a day of the triffids type event ! Within weeks !

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 7 March 2021

The hydroponics system is completed and ready to fire up ! .......the system .......shaped like a U 4” plastic soil pipe configured side by side , total run is 5.6 metres .....one pipe is fed via a circulation pump via a black round plastic tank capacity is seventy litres total (pipe capacity is 23.7 litres ) based on half full .....the pump will never run dry ! The other pipe is the return ( to the tank ) it’s quite a simple system , twenty two net cup capacity ....all I am waiting for are the seedlings to get a little bigger and I will be off to the races everything else is in place ! ....if it turns out well I will develop a bigger system separately ............I am expecting a call from Aldi’s procurement department .....shortly !

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 13 March 2021

And their off ! Some tomato plants , and lettuce .....not filled up all the positions yet ......waiting on some sweet basil and some other herbs .....it’s running just fine......transplanted some cucumbers into growing tubs along with a tub of sugar snap peas, sown three rows of broad beans direct ......raised beds are all prepped up ready for tenants ...bar three getting all the tubs ready for tomatoes,chillies and peppers.......sown more cucumbers for family and friends and their up and going , so it’s time for first early potatoes ( in containers ) .....oh and I pulled out the last of the leeks.......with the land rover ....bit of a bastard but I just made it .....wild child said she would cut them up ! Bloody good job I sharpened the chainsaw yesterday ! Onwards preppers !

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 26 March 2021

Removed the covering off the lower poly tunnel 6 mtr x 3 mtr ....re taped all the hoops and re fitted new polythene made a new door and frame .....all finished and ready to go ! All tomatoes and cucumbers are all tubbed up and sitting in their final growing positions in the grow poly tunnel , sown two rows of spring onions , and three rows of carrots ....direct ........on the window cill sown butternut squash , aubergine , lettuce , and coriander .......everything is doing well ! Set up some barrels and planted some potatoes .

The hydroponics setup is turning out to be excellent ! Very impressed with the speed of progress ! ......cabbage will be ready to plant on next week along with some lettuce . Gave all the fruit bushes a good dressing of feed to get them off to a good start .

Next up ..... is the big poly tunnel 35ft x 12ft removing the covering re setting the hoops and levelling up ...then replacing the polythene and cool tape and making two new timber doors ( wide enough to drive the beast through ) all the gear is at hand to get it done .....the aquaponics system I fitted last year will be fired up as soon as the cover go’s on its all done ready up and running .....think I will run another hydroponics system along side it and use the opposite side of the tunnel for standard traditional growing beds .

Finished the base coat render on the old house ...just the gable end to do ....then the top coat to all ....then to small Lean to roof to recover and I am done ! ......cleaning the caravan (external ) tomorrow and a service on the truck next week........carrying on walking this rocky road ! .