Survival UK Forums
What have done towards your prep? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: What have done towards your prep? (/showthread.php?tid=1010)

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Mortblanc - 4 July 2021

Should we be concerned that it has taken you 10 years to realize how smart we are?

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Skean Dhude - 4 July 2021

MB, I've known for some time there are some smart cookies on here. Just didn't want to make any of you too big headed.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 6 July 2021

There are two acres BP , so I suppose you can can it a ( small holding ) as I have said before my grand father tried to buy this place in 1950 but got out bid so he bought the small holding on the mountain opposite that had nine acres and no electricity , as this place did .....originally this place had twelve acres until the railroad was put in to service the coal mines But long gone now, as for my skill sets ....I have been in the building trade all my life with a full and varied mix , in my case I served my apprenticeship with a carpenter / builder I had no choice to do what was set for me to do be that digging founds and laying them , bricklaying, plastering , plumbing along with carpentry and joiner ....and learning to weld ....steel , aluminium , cast .....in fact anything that happened my way
But as I look back , I had the best preparation for life ,even though the boss was a complete twat , he was a well respected tradesman and I am glad I put up with all his shit for nearly five years to get my papers and have been faking it ever since , I am now retired , the only work I do now is for close family and very close friends and best of all for me and wild thang , believe me that is enough my cup is overflowing for no payment at all ....which is fine by me .....I never could seem to say No when people came calling on me for a hand or help...could never find it in me to refuse......but I am doing it a bit of late ......even my bollox have now gone walk about ! .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 6 July 2021

our last allotment field was 2 acres and that went out of sight at the top of the field, I'd call that a smallholding.
piece of land I live on years ago was just under 2 acres, a bit of that was woodland, even had some Bamboo growing which was handy for the allotment garden I had then, farm next door where I could get cow and horse muck, river on two sides.
I wish I had owned that place I'd still be living there now.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 9 July 2021

Been laying the finishing coat on the old place this week and it’s now complete ! Fitted the new window and some replacement dg units yesterday ....rendered the retaining wall 20 ft x 8 ft today and fined down....something the sil threw in ..as I was waiting for the cement to turn , I jumped on the digger and made a start on the root cellar .....the only position available advised by MB ........then it went pair shaped ......I hit rock ...no not rocks I mean a big big rock......I stopped at 8ft ( long) with no end to the bugger I dug down 3ft with no end there either .....looks like I will be stumped with the ideal position so plan B .....that will mean a total rethink........why is nothing ever easy around here ? .....any ideas MB .......I am even thinking of a solar powered refrigerated insulated room ? .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Mortblanc - 9 July 2021

Plan B??

Put it where you can and plant some good shade as a screen for the front. A tall hedge or some fast growing shade trees. Even an artificial barrier like a burlap screen will help until the natural foulage grows in.

The goal is keeping the ground over the root cellar at a uniform temp. That is done with heaps of dirt and shade on the outside. That was the reason for suggesting the north facing slope.

If you go deep enough it won't matter, but no one ever goes as deep as they think they did and some point at a corner or along the roof will get only a foot of dirt when the rest has 2-3 feet.

The presence of stones complicates things greatly. Rock transfers heat and cold directly, almost like an electric wire. I have seen water pipes freeze and burst because they were laid in rock filled ditches and the rock extended to the surface several meters away.

I laughed when I read about your rock. I once lived in a place that only had one rock. It was 6" under the ground and ran for 200 miles in all directions. In my present location I am blessed with mostly stone free soil, except for those places that I intend to do construction. That is always where the boulders live.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Pete Grey - 10 July 2021

As we are approaching the 19th. so called freedom day when all the idiots will be going mad, we will be doing a big shop, packing the camper, and then off to quieter areas for three or four weeks until things settle down.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 10 July 2021

Have a good trip Pete , enjoy yourselves and have some fun .....get that barbecue out pal and give the boss a rest! Tip of the week ........get some of those Teflon barbecue mats Pete ....they are brilliant ....no mess ,easy to clean with warm soapy water ready to reuse .....and you will not burn anything ! ....you can even throw an egg straight on them , you to can become a chef hero overnight just like me ! .......drive safe ! .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 11 July 2021

I doubt anywhere will be exempt from the idiots post the 19th.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 11 July 2021

Picked three and a half pounds of black currants this morning, will turn that into jam later, the sil is up on the roof of the old house (painting (masonary) to the dormers.) I told him NOT to do it ! Because of the imminent rain ...and showed him the signs as well as the forecast ! ......he spent hours cleaning the cement roof tiles ......what’s that you say boys “ is he English ! “ yes boys he is indeed English .....as I sit here at the table undercover drinking my tea ....I await the gloatingfest and my reminder through my loud haler ......” I did tell you you silly billy or words to that effect “ ........I will get the power wash out in readiness .