Survival UK Forums
What have done towards your prep? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: What have done towards your prep? (/showthread.php?tid=1010)

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 8 December 2021

Cans arrived 7.30 am they are filled and stacked n racked ....everything arrived except the banjo ...that’s next week .....put the bacon in the freezer ready to slice up tomorrow ....makes life easier ......now I am ahead of the game , I will split some logs to keep me out the way of the traffic ......fix bayonets !

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 13 December 2021

Made some spiced red currant jelly today .....five 12 oz jars ....excellent anti bull shit therapy ! Life can be free and easy producing your own stuff ....it can bring or simulate total freedom even ! It’s the simplistic things that can bring you salvation ! .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Mortblanc - 14 December 2021

It has happened!

SS has reached a state of perfect nirvana through production of a dozen jars of current jelly!

Those must be some GOOD currants!

We do the same over here with a fruit called muscadines, but we have to ferment them first.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 16 December 2021

It’s become much worse than that MB ! ......I’ve had to do more pickled onions ! Yes ....more ....another five kilo’s ....just finished the last session, all Jared up ! ......not so much nirvana ...more knackered and against the clock ...
.....I think I have become “ the onion guy “ around here .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 5 January 2022

It’s that time again ! .....checking ALL the tinned food preps along with all the rest of the food preps ....as I carry on I will reposition all stock positions and make More Sense and logic to the storeroom .

Most of the survival gear was sorted months ago .......that now needs to be placed and stored in one place ! .....if there is one thing I have learned over the past twelve years of prepping ...even longer really , is you can not just stack stuff on shelves and forget it ! You must check your stock at regular intervals , I do not mean a cursory look see .....I mean check physically ....every tin , every box , and every item ....what’s the good storing Anything that’s not fit for purpose ? .....and relying on them ? ....only to realise they are of no use at all ....even dangerous ! .

I have made loads of mistakes over the years ...and many plain stupid ! So the important thing to take onboard that stands out most ( for me at least ) is ....we HAVE to CHECK All stored items .....throw out anything that’s defective or you have doubts about ! .....when you need it ....you will need it ....for the intended use you stored it for in the first place ! .

If you are holding a lot of preps .....checking it does not need to be a daunting task ! Do it a shelf at a time , do not try to check everything all in one go ....that will just piss you off ! ....just be methodical and thorough and see it through to the end .....miss nothing ! .

Once you complete the task , you will have first hand knowledge of the condition of what you are holding , you will get a feel for the timing of your next check , and what you need to check on first ! ....not the most exciting part of prepping , but very very important none the less .....develop a routine that suits you ! Do not allow yourself false hope ....it could well kill you ! .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Pete Grey - 6 January 2022

First of all a belated seasons greetings to everyone and best wishes for the new year to you all, and let’s hope 2022 is a better year than the last two have been.

For those who have lost friends or loved ones over the pandemic it must have been really hard.

Over the holidays we have been trying to keep in touch with friends and family, something we sometimes forget to do when we’re busy.

We too have been checking the dates and condition of our food preps, as SS says it can be a daunting task if you try and do it all in one go, but it is essential to keep food safe.

This is one reason we keep our preps in crates when we can, the crates are numbered, have a short description of the contents on the lid, and a list of contents inside.

They can easily be checked one at a time, I try to keep the crates to a manageable weight, 30lbs, for moving them about.

This is the time of the year when we look back and see if we could have done better, and the time to decide how we wish to progress with our preps.

As we grow older (late 70s) our needs and our capabilities alter, and so must our plans.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Tartar Horde - 7 January 2022

Stocking up on Guitar/Banjo strings. Being able to play/create music without radio & devices is invaluable to me. Besides jamming with mates is far better than listening on the radio.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 7 January 2022

besides, there will come a time when the radio is silent.
I've never been good at music, had a few guitar lessons but never got past "Puff the magic dragon"!!

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Tartar Horde - 8 January 2022

(7 January 2022, 13:57)bigpaul Wrote: besides, there will come a time when the radio is silent.
I've never been good at music, had a few guitar lessons but never got past "Puff the magic dragon"!!

"Puff the magic dragon" has a whole different meaning in the music business.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 8 January 2022

(8 January 2022, 11:10)Tartar Horde Wrote:
(7 January 2022, 13:57)bigpaul Wrote: besides, there will come a time when the radio is silent.

"Puff the magic dragon" has a whole different meaning in the music business.
its what music teachers start a newbie on, the chords are fairly simple.