Survival UK Forums
What have done towards your prep? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: What have done towards your prep? (/showthread.php?tid=1010)

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 13 March 2022

(13 March 2022, 09:37)Beardy_McNormous Wrote:
(13 March 2022, 09:25)bigpaul Wrote:
(13 March 2022, 09:13)Beardy_McNormous Wrote: Debating if I should buy the crossman 2250 or the smk cp2

both are good guns, but the Ratcatcher is just that, a short range gun.
I'd go for the SMK, and did.

Hey BP!

Thanks for the info. If I can find a local one then I will, if not will have to hit up Pellpax and get one delivered!

I’ve got that BSA Ultra I bought from NR years ago, but the tench regulator failed so no it’s not great for days out shooting - have to take a pump with me.
dont know where you are so cant help there, I bought mine at Trago Mills.
good thing with Co2 capsules is you can put a handful in a pocket and not notice it.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 13 March 2022

Sown more veggies ......swede, turnips, carrots, beetroot, parsnip, leeks, And cauliflower .......ordered six more 30 kilo HD tubs ......prepped five tubs after weeding ....added FBB , chicken manure and nettle soup ...ready to plant up ....transplanted strawberries into the hydroponics test bed ......made the herb (garden) stand .....it’s had three coats of outdoor furniture paint .....one more coat and it will be in use .

Altering the steps leading off the deck to create more room .....inside and outside .......upcoming jobs / projects ....build a new shed to house the solar setup ......finish the new henhouse and rabbit hutch and move the setup along with the runs and fence it all up ....must be completed within the next two months ! I’ve pussy footed about to long ! .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Beardy_McNormous - 15 March 2022

Updated programming on all 5 radios. Still need to add in the local repeaters, but no hurry.

Need to prepare some raised beds, but my pallet supply has gone dry in my absence (recently moved house) so I'm on the hunt for some free wood!

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 17 March 2022

Finished the steps yesterday ( concrete blocks and patio slabs ) rehung the gate and refitted the fencing rails ....looking good .

Took delivery of all the timber needed for the new shed this morning , started my strawberry wall this afternoon , will finish that in the morning , I have all the tubs ,the new plants are coming on the weekend , we need some more herbs ....will get them this weekend ......getting all the stuff I control done now while I can still get materials and making certain I can be in the best possible readiness for the upcoming shortages of everything ! Even if Russia and Ukraine reach some compromise it will make no difference to what is coming ....none ! It amazes me people think it will be back to (normal) within months ? ....most still have no clue on how bad things are and how bad they are going to get ! So my message to all members and visitors is ....do not put off the things you need to get done ! Growing your own food is super important .....more now than at any other time ....your life and the ones you love may well depend on what YOU do right now ! .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Beardy_McNormous - 18 March 2022

Topped up the fuel tank, gone up by 18p per litre since the weekend!! £1.809 was the cheapest!!

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 18 March 2022

funny, ours has gone down! it was £1.64 for petrol last week when I topped up, this morning its £1.59!!

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Pete Grey - 18 March 2022

Coal delivery came yesterday, shed is chocker. Collected more compost and some growbags this morning. Waiting for the LPG gas hose to come.
Kitchen taps need replacing also need a good selection of woodscrews so off to screwfix tomorrow.
Need to check the first aid kits in both vehicles as it must a couple of years since the last time, it’s a thing easily missed, but most important.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 27 March 2022

Been clearing some ground over the past few days , going to use the space for more container growing .....ordered two micro watering systems ....I already have the timing switch sorted , I will put in a new water supply run along with stop tapes , tap , and drain off valve .....for winter shutdown , I have all the gear at the ready , that will keep me busy for a bit ......it’s all coming together ........wild child’s herb garden is setup and running , the strawberry wall is finished and planted up .....just the treating of all the timbers ....and that’s here ready .....the runner bean row is open and ready to be filled with made soil and compost (this week) ......most of the seedlings are ready to plant on , but I will hold off a bit longer to see what the weather does this week ....going a bit colder ....I have loads of fleeces just in case ......the plan is for two good cropping this year and hopefully better than last year ! ...potatoes were excellent last year along with the onions and leeks .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - BritishPrepper - 27 March 2022

Same as everyone else this time of year I suppose, getting seeds off to a good start as we've had such nice weather. However, my potatoes got hit by a late frost last year so lesson learned this year and have got some fleece ready to cover them when they come through should there be a frost. Today I've been to get a new blackcurrant bush, pear and apple trees are starting to blossom now after being planted last September.

Just seeded a load of tomatoes (alicante and moneymaker), courgettes (defender F1s), cucumber (marketmore as they will be outside) and a lot of salad bits that are cut and come again. Probably will stick some radishes in between my onions too as they're taking forever to grow. Garlic the same, been in since last year and I'm just so impatient.

Bought and planted first early potatoes this past week, have ordered double the amount of maincrop potatoes this year, am going to head out into the countryside with a trowel and plant a load of them out there instead of my garden, so should food shortages hit later this year and my survival garden gets robbed (or fails) I'll still have 20 plants with about 5-10 potatoes each in a remote location. I doubt anyone will be able to identify them as potatoes. Maybe OTT, but I like the idea of having multiple sources of food only you know about.

There's a handful of crab apple trees deep in a woodland near me which I'm pretty sure nobody has ever come across. My sweetcorn did absolutely rubbish last year so am giving that a miss this year. Chosen mangetout over peas this year as I couldn't tell when they were ready, and ended up picking and opening when they weren't done Sad

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Pete Grey - 27 March 2022

The gas hose came and is stowed with the spare regulators, we keep spares for as many different types of bottle as we can, just in case we “find” any gas.

Went to screwfix bought a pair of tap inserts (for kitchen taps) two tradepacks of woodscrews and some bituminous paint to freshen up garden shed roof.

Isn’t it typical the fruit trees and bushes are budding nicely and there is a forecast we might get snow, still the garden fleece is at hand.