Survival UK Forums
What have done towards your prep? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: What have done towards your prep? (/showthread.php?tid=1010)

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Pete Grey - 15 August 2023

(15 August 2023, 19:38)Pete Grey Wrote: Any fruit and veg you can grow is a Godsend but will not be enough for a balanced diet, even one tin of meat a day

Lost a line somehow ????

.........even one tin of meat a day will make a difference, that’s what we have planned for.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 15 August 2023

Could not agree more Pete , what I was trying to convey dried foods would be a better starting point as far as bulk is concerned and reasonably cheap to get somewhere faster , does anyone really believe I do not hold any tinned food ! …..take a look at my posts and threads over the last ten odd years ! I have enough to out last my meds by at least eighteen months if not longer , so just opening a tin when it suits me is dead easy just as mb would …..it’s all very well talking about our individual circumstances and basing your actions on how you intend to proceed but not all people who visit here are type two diabetics or have had heart surgery like MB or like I have also when I post it’s for everyone not just some , and to be honest I do expect with my backlog of posts and threads over the past ten years regulars should know well where I’m at so I expect better from all of you ,it’s not as if I’m a newbie FFS ! In closing I have nothing but respect for M B and all of the old timers on here that said this is now my final post I wish you ALL WELL and GOOD LUCK …..SS signing out .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 16 August 2023

(15 August 2023, 19:38)Pete Grey Wrote: I think as most of us who haven’t much space for chickens or rabbits for meat, rely on tinned meat, wether corned beef, pork, spam, chicken breast, tuna etc as the only way to provide protein after an event, when all the freezers have died. There aren’t all that many pigeons and squirrels to shoot.

Any fruit and veg you can grow is a Godsend but will not be enough for a balanced diet, even one tin of meat a day

Work on the open veranda/canopy should start soon.

after an event, any amount of tinned food is not going to last for ever, at some point it will all be eaten, without a back up supply in some form, people will go hungry. during WW2 British people kept Chickens and Rabbits in their back yards and fed them on scraps, they also dug over any ground they could find to grow veg, near where I live in WW2 there was a mile long Potato "clamp" so dont tell me it cant be done.
as for Pigeons and Squirrels you'd better move down here, there are loads everywhere I go, plus Pheasants, Deer-Red and Roe, Foxes, Badgers plus visiting Ducks and Geese.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Pete Grey - 16 August 2023

(16 August 2023, 12:45)bigpaul Wrote:
(15 August 2023, 19:38)Pete Grey Wrote: I think as most of us who haven’t much space for chickens or rabbits for meat, rely on tinned meat, wether corned beef, pork, spam, chicken breast, tuna etc as the only way to provide protein after an event, when all the freezers have died. There aren’t all that many pigeons and squirrels to shoot.

Any fruit and veg you can grow is a Godsend but will not be enough for a balanced diet, even one tin of meat a day

after an event, any amount of tinned food is not going to last for ever, at some point it will all be eaten, without a back up supply in some form, people will go hungry. during WW2 British people kept Chickens and Rabbits in their back yards and fed them on scraps, they also dug over any ground they could find to grow veg, near where I live in WW2 there was a mile long Potato "clamp" so dont tell me it cant be done.
as for Pigeons and Squirrels you'd better move down here, there are loads everywhere I go, plus Pheasants, Deer-Red and Roe, Foxes, Badgers plus visiting Ducks and Geese.

I’m sticking to tinned meats, i’ve enough to outlast the meds by 3 or 4 months, when you’re in your 80th year meds are more important than the crops I might have been able to grow 20 years ago, but certainly not now.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 17 August 2023

(16 August 2023, 19:21)Pete Grey Wrote:

I’m sticking to tinned meats, i’ve enough to outlast the meds by 3 or 4 months, when you’re in your 80th year meds are more important than the crops I might have been able to grow 20 years ago, but certainly not now.
I'm 75, but I'm not relying on meds to keep me going, in fact I try to limit any meds I have to take, I dont even take pain killers for a head ache if I can avoid it, I dont trust modern medicines too many side effects. I didnt have any of the Covid shots.
I'm growing food, it dosent take that much effort, I use the no dig method , mostly raised beds and tubs, which takes a lot of the strain out of it.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Pete Grey - 17 August 2023

(17 August 2023, 07:41)bigpaul Wrote:

I'm 75, but I'm not relying on meds to keep me going, in fact I try to limit any meds I have to take, I dont even take pain killers for a head ache if I can avoid it, I dont trust modern medicines too many side effects. I didnt have any of the Covid shots.
I'm growing food, it dosent take that much effort, I use the no dig method , mostly raised beds and tubs, which takes a lot of the strain out of it.

I said meat for protein.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 17 August 2023

(17 August 2023, 11:17)Pete Grey Wrote:
(17 August 2023, 07:41)bigpaul Wrote:

I said meat for protein.
like I said tinned meat wont last long after the supply chain is broken, one needs to find another meat supply, either by rearing it ourselves-which is the better option or by shooting it, small game like pigeons, rabbits and squirrels can be killed with an air rifle. humans are after all omnivores-we can eat a range of foods.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Pete Grey - 17 August 2023

As I said

I’m sticking to tinned meats.

We've enough to outlast the meds by 3 or 4 months.

Tinned meat for protein.

Not interested in supply chain.

Food stocks will outlast the meds.

Food stocks will outlast us.

RIP PG.

End of.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Mortblanc - 18 August 2023

Paul, normal people don't take meds because they choose too, they take them because they have too.

If you need meds and do not take them you are a fool, not a protester of "big pharma". You do not "will" yourself to be healthy.

But you have now told us that you are into self abuse since you do not take pain meds when you are hurting. Do you enjoy hurting yourself? That is called an "indicator".

What you trust or believe medically is of no consequence, since you are not a doctor.

My own experience has been that I have been alive for the past 20 years due to the benefits of modern medicine. I am living without pain due to modern medicine, I am watching my grandchildren go to university due to modern medicine and I might live long enough to see a crop of great-grandchildren running about due to modern medicine.

Perhaps you are not on meds because you have ignored instructions, or not visited a physician for decades. You simply think you are healthy because you do not allow anyone to tell you all the things that are wrong with you.

40% of the people in the UK over 70 have coronary artery disease, 47% have type 2 diabetes. Incidence of prostate cancer in men over 65 is 60%.

Otherwise you are one of the only completely healthy and unaffected by 75 years of life humans in the western world.

Next thing you know you will be telling us you don't make noise when you sit down or stand up! I don't believe it, I've seen your photo.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 18 August 2023

well MB, I dont have heart disease, I dont have Diabetes, I dont have Cancer, I am in better shape than a lot of people I see 20 or 30 years younger than me, this country has an Obesity and Diabetes crisis mostly due to the crap food people eat, we are careful with our diet and we dont eat the American size portion sizes that seem to be normal these days, we walk every day in the glorious Devon countryside and this time of year I am usually found outside in the garden, all this exercise helps regulate my weight, I will never be small thats why I am Big Paul- I was always bigger than my mates-buddies to you- and that was my biker nick name.
I dont know what you mean by noise when I get up, my joints dont creak if thats what you mean.
we do have a local doctor but I dont need to see him, when I do I will make an appointment but my health is good.