Survival UK Forums
What have done towards your prep? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: What have done towards your prep? (/showthread.php?tid=1010)

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 13 December 2023

depends how one is trying to live post TEOTWAWKI.
if you cant fix it or make it, if you cant grow it or breed it, if you cant forage or hunt it, you wont have it.
learn to live without it, the simple life is the best, try to make life too complicated and you wont make it.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Skean Dhude - 13 December 2023

Pete, I agree that is why my philosophy has been one step at a time.

I want to survive on beans and staying in over the first winter. Growing a bit of food when it warms up and living off that. Looking after yourself is key and that is where your items come in.

Many non preppers will survive, more than there are preppers, simply because they have the right mindset, live in the right area and have the right help.

As I keep on saying, every prep I make increases my chances. Nothing will get it to 100%

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Pete Grey - 13 December 2023

Taking it further........

Your lucky, you’ve survived the big one...........

Your basic needs are covered .........Shelter, Water, Food, Heating, Cooking, Security.

Why not a few extras to make life a little easier.......Solar Lighting, Medication, Communication, yes and a toilet.

At what level do you want to live, now’s the time to decide ?......Plan, learn, build, stock up.

BP simple won’t be enough, if you can’t fix, make, grow, breed, forage, hunt, you just won’t make it. Give yourself more chance.

The Celts could, even Neanderthals could to a degree, out of necessity they had thousands of years learning and practice.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 14 December 2023

Pete, I lived a simple life off grid for 12 years and that is how I will be living after the big one.
with the die off of the UK non prepared population I wont be communicating with anyone, solar lighting will not be required, and medication will be the natural kind, that is all we had at one time before big bucks big pharma came along.
a toilet is easy enough but unnecessary, both solid waste and urine is useful on the veg plot and a waste of resources just dumping it in a hole in the ground.
thats what I mean about some people making life post TEOTWAWKI too complicated, trying to live after the big one the same way they did before is not going to work, a different mindset is required.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Pete Grey - 14 December 2023

BP I still believe simple won’t be enough, all the time you were living off grid there was always “backup” available.

I’m sure you regularly used shops and supermarkets, where you could get all the food and consumables, medicines, building materials (for home maintenance) etc that you needed........after TEOTW there will be nothing.

Come SHTF we will all need the knowledge and to fix, make, grow, breed, forage, hunt.........

I suppose we are lucky we would not have to start from scratch like our ancestors........Our prepping bookshelves should have all the information we need and we should have the tools and any equipment necessary.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 15 December 2023

not so much back then Pete, supermarkets were in there infancy and far apart especially in the rural South West, I had a small stock of tins for winter use but I was growing my own food which was the point of being there.
I was living a simple life and didnt need that much, no medicines, building materials were simple as I was living in a small wooden caravan. timber could be coppiced from the trees around me. there was a stand of bamboo for garden stakes.
post SHTF I agree knowledge will be needed, people that dont have the knowledge to survive wont.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Pete Grey - 16 December 2023

BP.......I suspect you were 40 years younger, and were probably solo, not feeding a family
which would have been a different ballgame.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 17 December 2023

I'm still in the same frame of mind, can still do the same things I did back then and still arent feeding a family.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 17 December 2023

anyway this is getting too personal, I smell a troll or a govt spy, so this is my last post.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Pete Grey - 17 December 2023

MB, just a bit of banter between friends....