Survival UK Forums
After Armageddon (History channel) - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Scenarios (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: After Armageddon (History channel) (/showthread.php?tid=1145)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: After Armageddon (History channel) - NorthernRaider - 24 February 2012

(24 February 2012, 19:17)Reality Jones Wrote: There was one point in the film that I was unsure about.... the main guy and his family are all thirsty and he punctures a car radiator to get the water out, he then strains the water through his shirt and then boils it. in the next scene they are all happily drinking it from bottles.
Is it safe to do this? What about the anti freeze/coolant in the water?

He would be dead, the Ethyline glycol in the cooland would crystalise in his kidneys and liver and kill him horribly, It what cat haters in the UK use to poison cats

RE: After Armageddon (History channel) - uks - 24 February 2012

Hot climate maybe no anti=freeze in the system?.

RE: After Armageddon (History channel) - Prep Girl - 25 February 2012

the script was a bit lame and it wasn't thought out very well,,acting was crap I've never killed anyone but given the chance I wouldn't have left a loaded gun behind.

RE: After Armageddon (History channel) - Scythe13 - 25 February 2012

NR is right, the radiator coolant will probably contain ethylene glycol or polyethylene glycol that will really screw you up!

You can drain your radiator and replace what is in there with just pure water. But you're much better off not using it though.

You're better off tying a tshirt or something to your leg and walking through a field in the morning. That will pick up a load of dew off the plants haha.

RE: After Armageddon (History channel) - Timelord - 25 February 2012

It is likely that "Antifreeze" is used in all climates or a derivative thereof. It is an alcohol based fluid that actually helps the radiator to cool its contents more efficiently and also, it is a corrosion inhibitor. That is its main job even in a hot climate.

RE: After Armageddon (History channel) - Reality Jones - 25 February 2012

(24 February 2012, 23:48)uks Wrote: Hot climate maybe no anti=freeze in the system?.

I spent some time in L.A. once and why I was there I hired a car and drove through the desert to Vegas. At night it was bloody freezing, it was even snowing at the grand canyon so they'd defo need anti freeze in there radiators.

RE: After Armageddon (History channel) - NorthernRaider - 25 February 2012

(24 February 2012, 23:48)uks Wrote: Hot climate maybe no anti=freeze in the system?.

Naa because most vehicles engines are now made from dissimilar materials IE Steel, Iron, Aluminium,Magnesium etc ALL engines have anti oxidants, anti furring agents, etc in the coolant to stop the cooling system from furring up or being disolved away in an electrolosis process. Modern coolants use to come in two forms, one based around ethyl alcohol and the other based around ethyline glycol.

Today I think only glycol is used as the alcohol based coolant used to evaporate over time.

RE: After Armageddon (History channel) - Kenneth Eames - 27 February 2012

I have read that ethylene glycol has been used in the past to kill people. Drop an ounce in someones booze to get rid of them. It was claimed that it was used by the Secret Services in the cold war. I don't know if this is true. Kenneth Eames.

RE: After Armageddon (History channel) - Skean Dhude - 27 February 2012

Still used now I would guess. One of the few things that government can't really ban. However, it is easy to defect and thus not really a good method.

RE: After Armageddon (History channel) - mikebratcher69 - 27 February 2012

A guy in a club here died because the idiot had poppers " alkyl nitrite" and instead of sniffing it he put it into his beer... aaarrrggghhhh thump as he hit the floor. BUT aparently if your having a stroke if you sniff it it opens the arteries and helps clear the clot so possibly a potential life saver?