Survival UK Forums
Iodine tablets and the olympics - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: Iodine tablets and the olympics (/showthread.php?tid=2163)

Pages: 1 2

Iodine tablets and the olympics - Armoured Gideon - 19 July 2012

Had a look around the sight but couldn't find an answer to this so thought I'd ask.

With the approaching olympics and the possible threat of a nuclear attack at the site has anyone stocked up on iodine tablets? I was wondering what were the best type to go for? Or are they a waste of time?

AG

RE: Iodine tablets and the olympics - David075 - 19 July 2012

Do they work ? what is it they do ?

RE: Iodine tablets and the olympics - bigpaul - 19 July 2012

they used to hand these out to residents living within 1 mile of Devonport Dockyard in case of " an incident" on a nuclear sub, dont know if they would do any good or is it just to make the householders feel good just before they get blown to bits??

RE: Iodine tablets and the olympics - NorthernRaider - 19 July 2012

(19 July 2012, 17:50)David075 Wrote: Do they work ? what is it they do ?

Iodene tablets are used to block the build up of radio active iodene in the thyroid gland, they can help but only slightly, I wouldnt bother with em personally.

RE: Iodine tablets and the olympics - Armoured Gideon - 19 July 2012

(19 July 2012, 18:11)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(19 July 2012, 17:50)David075 Wrote: Do they work ? what is it they do ?

Iodene tablets are used to block the build up of radio active iodene in the thyroid gland, they can help but only slightly, I wouldnt bother with em personally.

Thanks NR.

So many people seem to put their faith into iodine tablets, they make them seem like the holy grail of radiation protection!

RE: Iodine tablets and the olympics - Carnebwen - 19 July 2012

Just drink vodka instead.

RE: Iodine tablets and the olympics - Skean Dhude - 19 July 2012

NR,

Not sure I would agree. The radiation collects in the Thyriod. These tablets remove that and can make a difference. It depends of course how much of a dose you get but isn't that what prepping is all about. reducing risk.

Although after that I don't have any. It is on my list though I just think the risk is low.

RE: Iodine tablets and the olympics - Skean Dhude - 19 July 2012

Oh forgot to mention. Like everything else it is effective only against certain types of radiation but the low level radiation likely to be used in a dirty bomb it does help with. Just don't think that if one of our nuclear plants went they would be of much use.

RE: Iodine tablets and the olympics - Hrusai - 19 July 2012

yeah i wouldnt write them off at all, as SD said every little helps (god we sound like tesco)

RE: Iodine tablets and the olympics - Nemesis - 20 July 2012

I have a jar of the stuff, you don't need much and can od on it quite easy.