Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iodine tablets and the olympics
19 July 2012, 16:50,
Iodine tablets and the olympics
Had a look around the sight but couldn't find an answer to this so thought I'd ask.

With the approaching olympics and the possible threat of a nuclear attack at the site has anyone stocked up on iodine tablets? I was wondering what were the best type to go for? Or are they a waste of time?

AG
"Some men just want to watch the world burn!"
19 July 2012, 17:50,
RE: Iodine tablets and the olympics
Do they work ? what is it they do ?
19 July 2012, 17:54,
they used to hand these out to residents living within 1 mile of Devonport Dockyard in case of " an incident" on a nuclear sub, dont know if they would do any good or is it just to make the householders feel good just before they get blown to bits??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 July 2012, 18:11,
(19 July 2012, 17:50)David075 Wrote: Do they work ? what is it they do ?

Iodene tablets are used to block the build up of radio active iodene in the thyroid gland, they can help but only slightly, I wouldnt bother with em personally.

19 July 2012, 18:24,
(19 July 2012, 18:11)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(19 July 2012, 17:50)David075 Wrote: Do they work ? what is it they do ?

Iodene tablets are used to block the build up of radio active iodene in the thyroid gland, they can help but only slightly, I wouldnt bother with em personally.

Thanks NR.

So many people seem to put their faith into iodine tablets, they make them seem like the holy grail of radiation protection!
"Some men just want to watch the world burn!"
19 July 2012, 19:03,
Just drink vodka instead.
19 July 2012, 22:50,
NR,

Not sure I would agree. The radiation collects in the Thyriod. These tablets remove that and can make a difference. It depends of course how much of a dose you get but isn't that what prepping is all about. reducing risk.

Although after that I don't have any. It is on my list though I just think the risk is low.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 July 2012, 23:02,
Oh forgot to mention. Like everything else it is effective only against certain types of radiation but the low level radiation likely to be used in a dirty bomb it does help with. Just don't think that if one of our nuclear plants went they would be of much use.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 July 2012, 23:20,
yeah i wouldnt write them off at all, as SD said every little helps (god we sound like tesco)
20 July 2012, 02:00,
I have a jar of the stuff, you don't need much and can od on it quite easy.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ