Survival UK Forums
most likely shtf scenarios - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Scenarios (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: most likely shtf scenarios (/showthread.php?tid=3790)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: most likely shtf scenarios - bigpaul - 6 January 2013

i know that Devon has no emergency provision, a couple of years ago when we had heavy snow on Haldon Hill (high ground on the A38 near Exeter) they used a local school and a motel to evacuate stranded drivers to but that is the extent of it, if you look at the Devon CC website they have no emergency plans they just waffle on about the emergency powers in case of emergency but nothing specific as for the local council they cant even inform us when the bins will be emptied over new year, so i dont expect any help there in an emergency, all services are put out to tender anyway they dont actually employ anyone outside of the office.

RE: most likely shtf scenarios - Highlander - 6 January 2013

I have also been trying to find out the emergency plans for Argyll, but as yet I cant find any,... either they dont have a plan, or its so little its hidden away where I at least cant find it

(6 January 2013, 11:51)Highlander Wrote: I have also been trying to find out the emergency plans for Argyll, but as yet I cant find any,... either they dont have a plan, or its so little its hidden away where I at least cant find it
i think you'll find its like Devon, they dont ACTUALLY have a plan, they'll just muddle through (or not) when it happens.

yet another good reason for having your own food stocks and resourses, dont rely on TPTB for ANYTHING.

RE: most likely shtf scenarios - Skean Dhude - 6 January 2013

When you live out in the wilds you have plenty of advantages. This is just one of the disadvantages. Plan around it. A 4x4, a helicopter, or enough stores for 3 months. If you can't prepare for these common occurances then perhaps you need to move closer to civilisation,

Myself, I'd be out there in a flash.

no thanks, you can keep "civilisation" i want no part of it! one of the reasons we moved here is because its a small place, although its a town( we dont actually live IN town) its the size of some villages!

Oh,.. I am well aware of the advantage we have in the sticks, it just suprises me all the time, just how many people who have the advantage simply dont realise it, and dont take advantage of it

In fact, if I cant get family up here,.. I have plans to take in one other couple,.... they dont know it yet, and would laugh at the very idea,... but if ever the time comes that I do ask them, it will be at a time when they will jump at the chance,.... they will then have stores [ mine ] and I will have extra security

This is the only answer I have come up with regarding forming a small group

(6 January 2013, 12:22)Highlander Wrote: . I have plans to take in one other couple,.... they dont know it yet, and would laugh at the very idea,... but if ever the time comes that I do ask them, it will be at a time when they will jump at the chance,.... they will then have stores [ mine ] and I will have extra security

This is the only answer I have come up with regarding forming a small group

we are not forming a group-dont trust anyone enough for that, so OH and i will be going "lone wolf", neighbours are all sheeple anyway so no loss there.

Well the couple I am thinking of ...he is a game keeper, and would be a very usful member of any household,.. he is already a very good friend of mine who I work with,... but I know he would take the p**s out of me if I was to approach the subjuect to him.

But come the time, when he realises that things are going bad, that is the time he would think differently,.. I would then double my security over night, as he would be providing his guns to the security pot

I have also been wary of groups, and shyed away from forming any,... but I also like to keep my options open,..so I am preping for more than just me and mine,..I am also storing for the other two

RE: most likely shtf scenarios - BDG - 6 January 2013

(6 January 2013, 10:38)bigpaul Wrote: i know that Devon has no emergency provision,

(6 January 2013, 11:51)Highlander Wrote: I have also been trying to find out the emergency plans for Argyll, but as yet I cant find any,... either they dont have a plan, or its so little its hidden away where I at least cant find it

(6 January 2013, 12:01)bigpaul Wrote: i think you'll find its like Devon, they dont ACTUALLY have a plan, they'll just muddle through (or not) when it happens.

Your local council does will not have plans as they are not the agency with a statutory duty for providing emergency and disaster planning. The local civil defence authority is responsible for them. I visited my local one about 15 years ago and the scenarios they had planned for were amazing in scope and depth, as were communications resilience.

They did say they were not as well funded as during the cold war, but the plans that existed could cope for anything that was likely to happen, the only differences in the future would be new technologies for dealing with problems.

The plans exist, it is that they are underused.

i thought "Civil Defence" units were disbanded 30 or 40 years ago??

or at least, they were in the south west.