Survival UK Forums
cold weather gear. - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Bushcraft (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: cold weather gear. (/showthread.php?tid=6343)

Pages: 1 2

cold weather gear. - Danzord - 28 November 2013

Im looking at spending a night on dartmoor soon but have no idea what to take. Looking for ideas for kit as i dont realy have any at the moment and have a limited budget so any money saving tips apreciated.

RE: cold weather gear. - Midnitemo - 28 November 2013

army surplus gear usually gives you more bang for your buck and its tried and tested.

I swear by the 95 pattern goretex rain suit £20 the jacket& £20 the trousers....superbbit of kit.

RE: cold weather gear. - Highlander - 28 November 2013

Layers,... if you are short on pennies, then wear a few layers rather than one think one,.. with the most water proof on the top,.. for warmth, think natural wool

RE: cold weather gear. - Danzord - 28 November 2013

Thanks guys, looks like im going shopping

RE: cold weather gear. - SecretPrepper - 28 November 2013

Can always make your own wool wear. look at wool blanket hoodies on youtube. very warm. i made one, It is tricky

Sporty Tech T-shirts that wick moisture are good for layers too. You may already have some

RE: cold weather gear. - Danzord - 28 November 2013

(28 November 2013, 23:44)SecretPrepper Wrote: Can always make your own wool wear. look at wool blanket hoodies on youtube. very warm.

Ill check them out. Thanks.

RE: cold weather gear. - Lightspeed - 29 November 2013

Last week I picked up a thermal insulated mechanic's one piece overall from Lidl for £15.00

Yesterday I worked in freezing to -7c conditions for 5 hours, and it proved very toasty indeed.

As highlander wrote: Layers and an outer layer of wind proof water proof material seem to work best. I find that long johns, and a long sleeved vest are good base layers.

Don't forget warm headgear, thick socks, gloves, and good quality boots.

RE: cold weather gear. - BeardyMan - 29 November 2013

You can get dew liners for £30 / £40 - if you're lucky enough to find one large enough to fit it. Good for extreme cold conditions.

Winter camping on dartmoor and not a lot of kit? well, it's no different to camping anywhere else. Something to sleep under (tarp / tent) something to sleep in (doss bag & bivi if you want, or wool blankets) will do you for a night. If you find yourself getting cold then make a small fire.

For one nighters I either go full laden with all my gear, or just take a tarp and a blanket. I find, personally, that it's very easy to get a bit carried away (especially if you have a fair bit of gear) and take way too much. Last outing I took my doss bag, blankets, hammock, 2 tarps, 50 foot of 9mm rope, lots of paracord, laplander, 21" folding saw, gb sfa, loads of knives, 2 cook sets and more stuff that never made it out of the bag. What did I use? none of it. Mainly cause I got too drunk to put the hammock & tarp up so I slept under a table instead. But that's besides the point, the point is, you don't need a lot of gear.

RE: cold weather gear. - Danzord - 29 November 2013

Thanks for the advice, looks like i dont actualy need as much as i thought Big Grin

RE: cold weather gear. - MCavity - 29 November 2013

Spare socks are always handy on the moor imo. Smile