Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cold weather gear.
28 November 2013, 11:15,
cold weather gear.
Im looking at spending a night on dartmoor soon but have no idea what to take. Looking for ideas for kit as i dont realy have any at the moment and have a limited budget so any money saving tips apreciated.
28 November 2013, 20:01, (This post was last modified: 28 November 2013, 20:03 by Midnitemo.)
RE: cold weather gear.
army surplus gear usually gives you more bang for your buck and its tried and tested.

I swear by the 95 pattern goretex rain suit £20 the jacket& £20 the trousers....superbbit of kit.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
28 November 2013, 22:10,
Layers,... if you are short on pennies, then wear a few layers rather than one think one,.. with the most water proof on the top,.. for warmth, think natural wool
A major part of survival is invisibility.
28 November 2013, 22:59,
Thanks guys, looks like im going shopping
28 November 2013, 23:44,
Can always make your own wool wear. look at wool blanket hoodies on youtube. very warm. i made one, It is tricky

Sporty Tech T-shirts that wick moisture are good for layers too. You may already have some
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

28 November 2013, 23:54,
(28 November 2013, 23:44)SecretPrepper Wrote: Can always make your own wool wear. look at wool blanket hoodies on youtube. very warm.

Ill check them out. Thanks.
29 November 2013, 10:04,
Last week I picked up a thermal insulated mechanic's one piece overall from Lidl for £15.00

Yesterday I worked in freezing to -7c conditions for 5 hours, and it proved very toasty indeed.

As highlander wrote: Layers and an outer layer of wind proof water proof material seem to work best. I find that long johns, and a long sleeved vest are good base layers.

Don't forget warm headgear, thick socks, gloves, and good quality boots.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

29 November 2013, 14:01,
You can get dew liners for £30 / £40 - if you're lucky enough to find one large enough to fit it. Good for extreme cold conditions.

Winter camping on dartmoor and not a lot of kit? well, it's no different to camping anywhere else. Something to sleep under (tarp / tent) something to sleep in (doss bag & bivi if you want, or wool blankets) will do you for a night. If you find yourself getting cold then make a small fire.

For one nighters I either go full laden with all my gear, or just take a tarp and a blanket. I find, personally, that it's very easy to get a bit carried away (especially if you have a fair bit of gear) and take way too much. Last outing I took my doss bag, blankets, hammock, 2 tarps, 50 foot of 9mm rope, lots of paracord, laplander, 21" folding saw, gb sfa, loads of knives, 2 cook sets and more stuff that never made it out of the bag. What did I use? none of it. Mainly cause I got too drunk to put the hammock & tarp up so I slept under a table instead. But that's besides the point, the point is, you don't need a lot of gear.
29 November 2013, 14:06,
Thanks for the advice, looks like i dont actualy need as much as i thought Big Grin
29 November 2013, 14:27,
Spare socks are always handy on the moor imo. Smile